Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
I'm going to sleep ATM but I will post it once I am up

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk

MartinsReef

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Wicked Demon;149906 said:
Actually red light has been shown to stunt coral growth, try putting the acans in the shade
+1 My acans are a little shaded and the reds and orange pops again.

djkms

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Interesting. I only have one small 2 head frag of acans (orange, red, blue) and it sits halfway up my reef directly under one of my AI SOL blues. Granted it is underneath my center brace but its puffed up and seems happy. Its probably getting 350 par.

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
So should I leave the red out of my upcoming build and maybe replace them with something else?

Drew

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wicked Color

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Acans can handle a ton of light, and may in fact grow faster with a lot of light, but the rainbow acans loose a lot of color in intense light, or any direct light for that matter.
If your acan is a dome, and there are baby polyps on the bottom, being shaded by the polyps above, they are the best looking polyps on the whole piece, almost every time.

MartinsReef

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
djkms;150044 said:
Interesting. I only have one small 2 head frag of acans (orange, red, blue) and it sits halfway up my reef directly under one of my AI SOL blues. Granted it is underneath my center brace but its puffed up and seems happy. Its probably getting 350 par.
Your brace may be what is helping its color. But I did notice that the reds and orange had mor pop once the acans got a little shaded. I also have mine almost all the way down but not on the sand.

djkms

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
cdrewferd;150045 said:
So should I leave the red out of my upcoming build and maybe replace them with something else?

Drew

I am still including red in my upcoming fixture. IMO there is not enough evidence that red is useless. I have had w/b/rb over my tank for a year and a half now and I can tell you that aesthetically something is missing. Is red needed to grow corals? No, but if you want your system to have a more enriched look then whites and blues are not going to cut it alone. I am personally going to add violet, red and cyan in the near future.

The beauty of this whole thing is that the extra colors probably won't hurt anything, will only make it better. The only issue I foresee is adding red and getting more nuisance algae growth, if that happens, turn them down or off. Never know until you try!

MartinsReef

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
djkms;150052 said:
I am still including red in my upcoming fixture. IMO there is not enough evidence that red is useless. I have had w/b/rb over my tank for a year and a half now and I can tell you that aesthetically something is missing. Is red needed to grow corals? No, but if you want your system to have a more enriched look then whites and blues are not going to cut it alone. I am personally going to add violet, red and cyan in the near future.

The beauty of this whole thing is that the extra colors probably won't hurt anything, will only make it better. The only issue I foresee is adding red and getting more nuisance algae growth, if that happens, turn them down or off. Never know until you try!
+1 What ratio of red:blue, green, white. I would not take them out of your build, but would not go crazy with them either. I personal do not have any reds on my system but if I to build a diy set up, I bet your frags that I will put some it it.

Also, years back, I'm talking mid 90's.....a friend of mine in Colorado Springs, would hang red and green Grow bulbs in conjuction with his MHs over his LPS tank just to make the different colors pop. It was a cool site but I did not like the spot like affect so I never did it and I was using VHOs back then.

djkms

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
http://www.marinecolorado.org/forums/showthread.php?12029-DIY-Violet-Red-LED-Setup.-Help-me-build-it!

I currently have 3 AI sol blues on my 125. 12”AWL all 40 degree optics. Last PAR reading was about 650 at the highest coral and 225 at the lowest corner of the tank. I plan on putting 2 fixtures between each SOL fixture. Each fixture will house 2 reds, 2 cyan’s and probably 8-12 violets, all with 120 degree optics. Each color will be on its own dimmable driver hooked up to my Neptune system.

Zooid

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
djkms;150044 said:
Yeah, mine are puffed up really nice too but the reds and oranges just faded horribly.....I'm going to try putting it under a ledge and see what happens.

newtoreef

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
*1-Good led lights have a minimum of 7 bands, to beat MH youre gonna need 15 or more bands. The exact absorption peaks (nano-metres) for chlorophills A&B are, 430, 453, 642, 662. There are lots more bands needed to get the carrotenoid and phytochrome peaks and fill in the gaps for both chlorophills, here they come in nano-metres and cct. 380 400 410 460 480 500 525 575 590 600 610 620 630 720 -24000k 20000k 10000k 6000k 3000k thats one reason why mh is better

*2-the mh lights produce up to 30-40% more uv witch makes plants and corals more colorful it makes the coral produce more slime coat to protect itself from harm giving it better coloration. also with haveing the minimum of 15bands you get you other uv=uva-uvb-uvc since your coral is producing more chlorophills from photosynthesis your coral now uptakes more cal-mag aka more uptakeas i said

hehe i did not want to type this on my phone lol so got on my laptop

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
So what are your thoughts Aaron, what colors should we be putting in our DIY LES builds?

Drew

Wicked Color

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
As many different wavelengths as you can, focusing on the 400-480nm area, keeping red at a very small %, if used at all.

SteveT

Butterfly Fish
I have read or skimmed all of the studies linked, it seems like to me the conclusion is that most of Zooxanthelle photosynthesis happens in the blue spectrum, not red light stunts growth. The way they tested is by growing corals under 2 different spectrum MH lamps. However if you look at the spectrum graphs they give, the lamp that had less growth had more red in its spectrum yes, but also a slew of other spectral variables including much much less blue. So did the corals grow slower because of the increased red spectrum or the decreased blue spectrum? In one of the studies linked the amount of red output in the spectrum from the 2 lamps tested was identical, the difference was very much in the yellow/green VS blue. For me to be convinced that red light actually stunts growth I am going to have to see some more controlled specific studies.

deadrock

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Well every mh bulb has red. Ok we need a control tank ,like a 20l with a black divider in the middle, also who has a large stable system capable of keeping sps? Lol mine is nine is not stable atm