Lehner's Fluval Spec V Little Reef

lehner

Cyano
M.A.S.C Club Member
Hey all,

I am a new member here and I figured I would post my tanks history thus far and use this as a place to document its progress.

I started this tank about one year ago. Since then it has gone through a move from Aurora to Glendale, and has had all the stress of having me keep poking around.

I think I had finally found a good balance with everything growing well. But then I go an mess it up again last night. More on that later.

Anyway. Here is the tank.

Tank: Fluval Spec V

Equipment:
Mini-Jet 606
Current USA Orbit Marine
Flow deflector (now removed because I prefer the high turnover without having to add a powerhead into the DT.
Live rock and black sand.

Livestock:
Snowflake Clownfish (Nautilus) almost died last night. Luckily I got him to my quarantine tank (a 2 gallon bucket) quickly and he is still swimming.
5 Sexy Shrimp
1 Pistol Shrimp

Coral:
Montipora Digitata (I believe, it may be something else)
Blasto
Duncan
Toadstool
Sympodium
GSP
Various Zoas and Mushrooms

Possible Future purchases:
Favia
Acan
Some kind of euphyllia
???? (Your suggestion here! Send me some ideas of some coral I need to try out. I am always looking for something new to learn)

I started the tank last year. It started with a toadstool, Duncan, zoas and mushrooms. A clownfish, a yellow watchman, a pistol shrimp, and 5 sexy shrimp. I lost the clownfish and the watchman in the move. Amazed I did not lose more. Everything else has done well and I have added the other corals slowly and added the snowflake recently.

This is the link to my album of photos. There aren't many up right now but I will be adding more. I hoping to learn more about photography so I can get some better shots.

http://s1366.photobucket.com/user/LehnerTanks/library/Fluval Spec V

Thanks,

Steve

FishTV

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Fun little tank, I have one as well. Did you replace the stock return pump with the mini jet?

Shaunv

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Nice little tank :)

lehner

Cyano
M.A.S.C Club Member
Thanks!

I did upgrade the stock return to the mini jet 606. There seems to be a significant difference in flow IMO. I occasionally contemplate about trying to add a powerhead into the DT to get a higher turnover but I should probably stick to the old adage "If it ain't broke".

I just rearranged some rockwork, removed a chuck with some aiptasia on it, and added in a new piece of dry rock. (Thanks Munch) Added a few new pieces of coral (thanks munch, again). I was worried I tanked the tank a week ago. Was setting up a new scape and I added some of that Fluval Sea epoxy. It clouded everything up and I think it just stressed everything out. Had to move the clownfish to my "quarantine tank" aka 5-gallon bucket overnight. All seems to have recovered swiftly.

lehner

Cyano
M.A.S.C Club Member
Sad day. The clown decided that he wanted to visit other parts of my house. Unfortunately the kitchen counter is an inhospitable place. Think I will hold off on fish for awhile and just focus on corals and inverts.