Let's talk achillies

First of all I know ialtalal is reading this and shaking his head hahaha
I always liked how the achillie tangs look but I was told they are hard to keep. With my new tank that fluid designers build, I would love to add an achillie tang so I want to hear every members succes story or not good ending story. Please tell me a little about your setup so I know why you had good luck or it didn't make it in your setup.
My new tank is 535 galling reef tank. I have very strong water flow from the massive pump that I am using, also I have 2 MP60wes. So water flow is not an issue. I will add a lot of corals and there is rocks and places to hide.
Let me here yur input.

I have had mine for 2 1/2-3 years. Until recently (he?) was in a 155 bow front, mixed reef. Running 2 mp-40, on full reef crest. Eats anything!! Lunch is usually ONF flake, one, two and prime reef mixed, and also pellets, one, two and NLS mixed. Night feeding is frozen foods with blood worms, brine, mysis and a bunch of other stuff mixed in. His tank mates were regal tang, sailfin tang, Naso tang and, fox face. He has now been upgraded to a 300dd running two WP-40's on else mode. The move has stressed a little and developed a small ich issue, I am feeding garlic soaked food to help combat. They are a very active fish that love to rush the powerheads and then ride the current. Was next to impossible to catch to move to the new tank. Wicked fast and agile.

ultimetly I feel that I got a good fish ordered in for me and he has thrived for me. I got it from my LFS, as a special order, had a slight ich issue when he came in but cleared up in the first couple days. Hope this helps.

thanks,
Eli

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
jahmic;314075 said:
Following. This fish is the only reason I still want a bigger tank, lol
+1 one of my favorite tangs. So beautiful, wish I had the tank for one, best of luck with one.

Jake as you know, Tangs are one of my favorite saltwater fish and I've had several Achilles Tangs over the last 30 some years. I've had great success with them and had very poor success with them. I actually collected them in the Marshall Islands and Hawaii in 1980, 1991 and 1993. I believe one of biggest problem with Achilles has been the collection process with how they were handled. Certain fish and inverts need to be handled MUCH different than related species and Achilles is one of them. So I believe the bottom line is how they were handled AFTER collection for healthy fish! SOOOOO what I'm saying is, it can be a "hit and miss". Yes the collection and handling methods have definitely improved over the years. "dazoc" also suggested something above that I've suggest over the years to help keep them healthy and they said...... "They are a very active fish that love to rush the powerheads and then ride the current." When collecting Achilles they are usually found in much shallower water than other tangs and enjoy the "ebb and flow" of the wave action! Also although they're very common through out Micronesia and Hawaii, they're relatively hard to find in the hobby. They're just hard to capture in shallow water when the "ebb and flow" (on a good day) moves you 8 to 10 feet every few seconds. So my suggestion for success is...... good "wave action" in your tank for several hours each day (at least half the day) and the best of luck!

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Get one from a direct Hawaii importer. It should be healthy. They don't do too well in less-than-reef salinity and holding tanks, IME. Where you get it from will matter IME.

They are hardy fish once established if you keep the water quality high, feed them well and give them plenty of room. Without some of this, they can become real jerks. Without most of this, they will get stressed and die.

If you feed them well, they will grow fast.

My 240G was too small for one. It moved on to a 2500G in a restaurant where it was still alive the last time that I checked some three years later. I used a Mag 12 in the tank as a powerhead, which is MASSIVE amount of flow capable of moving sand/gravel back away from the glass on the other side of a 8' tank.

dazoc;314077 said:
I have had mine for 2 1/2-3 years. Until recently (he?) was in a 155 bow front, mixed reef. Running 2 mp-40, on full reef crest. Eats anything!! Lunch is usually ONF flake, one, two and prime reef mixed, and also pellets, one, two and NLS mixed. Night feeding is frozen foods with blood worms, brine, mysis and a bunch of other stuff mixed in. His tank mates were regal tang, sailfin tang, Naso tang and, fox face. He has now been upgraded to a 300dd running two WP-40's on else mode. The move has stressed a little and developed a small ich issue, I am feeding garlic soaked food to help combat. They are a very active fish that love to rush the powerheads and then ride the current. Was next to impossible to catch to move to the new tank. Wicked fast and agile.

ultimetly I feel that I got a good fish ordered in for me and he has thrived for me. I got it from my LFS, as a special order, had a slight ich issue when he came in but cleared up in the first couple days. Hope this helps.

thanks,
Eli
Did the LFS QT fish? Or you took straight to your house to avoid extra stress?

Catfish Charlie;314103 said:
Jake as you know, Tangs are one of my favorite saltwater fish and I've had several Achilles Tangs over the last 30 some years. I've had great success with them and had very poor success with them. I actually collected them in the Marshall Islands and Hawaii in 1980, 1991 and 1993. I believe one of biggest problem with Achilles has been the collection process with how they were handled. Certain fish and inverts need to be handled MUCH different than related species and Achilles is one of them. So I believe the bottom line is how they were handled AFTER collection for healthy fish! SOOOOO what I'm saying is, it can be a "hit and miss". Yes the collection and handling methods have definitely improved over the years. "dazoc" also suggested something above that I've suggest over the years to help keep them healthy and they said...... "They are a very active fish that love to rush the powerheads and then ride the current." When collecting Achilles they are usually found in much shallower water than other tangs and enjoy the "ebb and flow" of the wave action! Also although they're very common through out Micronesia and Hawaii, they're relatively hard to find in the hobby. They're just hard to capture in shallow water when the "ebb and flow" (on a good day) moves you 8 to 10 feet every few seconds. So my suggestion for success is...... good "wave action" in your tank for several hours each day (at least half the day) and the best of luck!
We'll my tank has very strong water movement I can program both of my MP60wes to create wave. All I need is an healthy fish.

Hey big guy...just to piggyback on what Ron was saying. Flow and space is huge! I know a little something about your set up and I think that you have all the pieces in place.
I am an avid scuba diver and I have been diving with these fish off of several islands in Hawaii. The areas you find them just is ripping with surge. And yes, shallow water is where they hang. I have been in areas with them where I literally had to hang onto rocks to avoid being tossed around by the crests.
Bottom line man...if you want to try one, go for it!

They kept the fish for two or 3 days just until I could make the trip to pick it up. I took it home and put it in my display, the first day was bad, all my other fish were pretty rough on the new guy. I did move him to a 90 gallon by himself for 3 days or so. Seemed to me that he was fairing worse off in the 90, then what was happening with the aggression in the 155. I pulled him again, and put him back in the display and in a day the aggression wore off and seemed to perk up.

I am in no way saying what I did was right, and do not think the way I did it was "safe", but just following the behavior of the fish it is how I decided to do it. I just think I got a good fish right from the start.
There is a primer thread on R.C. You may want to look into, there is some ok info if you have the time to make it through it all.

so I finally got my Achillies tang. He looked very good at the LFS. I got him home and added him in my fish tank. My stupid powder blue and sohal tang will not leave him alone. they where beating him really bad. I actually took a acrylic rod and tried to keep them away but that didn't work. they almost killed him. So we decided to turn off all the light and blinds for 24 hours. we just got back home and looks like they are leaving him alone. we turned all the lights and they left him alone. we fed them and they didn't bother him and the Achillies is eating really good. so I need to keep this boy fat so he can be healthy and happy.

LeviK

SCMAS Board Members
S.C.M.A.S BOD
Adding an achillies after a powder blue and sohal have had a chance to establish their territory doesn't seem like a good idea. Glad they are for now leaving him alone. Best advice is super high flow to keep him eating. Research where they live in the ocean to see why high current helps. Obviously if its eating without high current then it may not be needed.

I will keep the no light trick for the other tangs I want to add. I'm looking to add black Hawaiian tang and a gem tang. The flow is not a problem. I do have two MP60's so that should be good. I did feed it 4 times yesterday and it ate like a pig all 4 times. The sohal is leaving him alone but the powder blue chases the achillies very rare now, I think they are getting used to each other.

LeviK

SCMAS Board Members
S.C.M.A.S BOD
I did the no light trick for a vlamingi and powder brown a d it didn't work so pulled them all, rearranged rock work and threw them back in and that worked.

LeviK

SCMAS Board Members
S.C.M.A.S BOD
Huskyguy;321624 said:
I will keep the no light trick for the other tangs I want to add. I'm looking to add black Hawaiian tang and a gem tang. The flow is not a problem. I do have two MP60's so that should be good. I did feed it 4 times yesterday and it ate like a pig all 4 times. The sohal is leaving him alone but the powder blue chases the achillies very rare now, I think they are getting used to each other.
If you got that kind of cash get a clarion angel or peppermint angel or something like that lol. Gem tangs are overrated only because of rarity not beauty.

LeviK

SCMAS Board Members
S.C.M.A.S BOD
Huskyguy;321544 said:
so I finally got my Achillies tang. He looked very good at the LFS. I got him home and added him in my fish tank. My stupid powder blue and sohal tang will not leave him alone. they where beating him really bad. I actually took a acrylic rod and tried to keep them away but that didn't work. they almost killed him. So we decided to turn off all the light and blinds for 24 hours. we just got back home and looks like they are leaving him alone. we turned all the lights and they left him alone. we fed them and they didn't bother him and the Achillies is eating really good. so I need to keep this boy fat so he can be healthy and happy.
Also do you have a QT that all these fish are in currently?

scchase

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
B.O.D. Member-at-Large
I love gem tangs my favorite though I will probably go with a black tang in the new setup