Lighting help

Rumen

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Hey everyone, so I just set up a new 45g frag tank 36x24x12 I have one ai soI super blue at 11 inches off the water (that's all the room I have). I wanted to run t5 with it retrofit since I don't have that much room to go any higher. ..my question is how many should i get 4 or 6 (2 on each side of the sols or 3 on each sides) and how many watts.Would that be too much lights since the tank is so shallow. ..I nevered work with t5 since I started reefing had sols from the get go.... so what is your suggestions. ..thx
It will be a mix reef

Last edited by a moderator:
I have 96w of pct5 over my rsm (20+ inchs) 34 gallons with leds (vertex 12" 6 cree bulbs) and it seems to be plenty, I can grow anything and it all looks good. With only 12" deep I would think 4 and the sol is plenty, but it would be cool to have 6 and have different types of bulbs running at different times. Since its a frag tank, you might be going through different types of corals with different lighting needs. Just thinking out loud :) PICS!!!

Rumen

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Growing won't be a problem for me I have alot of luck growing corals I just don't want to fry them lol

Aaron

Cyano
M.A.S.C Club Member
Hey Rumen, check out the Maxspect razors. They are super quiet and a fraction of the price of AI or Radions. I've had great luck with my 3. When you factor in bulb replacement, they are very comparable with T5.

Rumen

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
I already Have leds aaron I just want to add t5 with led see how I like the growth and color if I add t5...

Looking good so far! Hmmm I'm thinking 6 & that led would burn anything in that center zone but I'm no expert. Plus coral will acclimate in time so maybe you'll get crazy morphs. Would still be cool to have the bulb variability like uv, pink, actinic x2, 10k x2 and have them on a schedule to simulate the day but probably not worth the extra money considering your sol can do some of that. I'm a big fan of t5 and led combo and choosing a t5 bulb that supplements where the LEDs lack. Can't wait to see more.

Aaron

Cyano
M.A.S.C Club Member
Rumen;329897 said:
I already Have leds aaron I just want to add t5 with led see how I like the growth and color if I add t5...
I see. Well I had a 6 bulb fixture over my 90 before I made the switch and thought that was overkill. If you are going to combo it with your AI I think 4 bulbs would do.

Just be prepared to change your bulbs every 8 months or so.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
sethsolomon;329908 said:
I would add 4 bulbs of t5ho. 2 on each side of the LED pendant.
+1 if you get the Reefgeek retrofit with the LET reflectors they will supplement well and you will be able to grow anything

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Noooo... well I bet you can find the parts or kits somewhere else, their kits are ati ballasts With LET reflectors

Rumen

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Hey that's sounds good just got to get a small tank rite next to it and I'm good ....will u be at aa for the meeting?