Longnose butterfly reef safe?

BryanF

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
I spontaneously bought a longnose butterfly at aquamart the other day. After doing some research I've seen mixed opinions as to them nipping at sps. Liveaquaria says reef safe "with caution", hate that classification. Just wondering if anyone here has any experience with this fish.

He will be in quarantine for a few weeks so I have some time to decide. Any experience you can share is much appreciated!

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
I would pm djkms I believe he had one in his 125 maybe in his new tank even I don't know.

MartinsReef

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Like anything else, you never know what they will do. Each fish has it own personality. One could be a good citizen and the next can be a terror!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

fishguy69

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Keep it well fed so that it doesn't need to look elsewhere for food. Most of the times this works even for dwarf angels.

V
GWA

BryanF

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Kind if funny ialtalal's was a terror and djkms' never mothered anything. Such a cool looking fish, I want to put him in but hate the idea of trying to get him out if he causes problems.

bsharpe

Users with zero posts needing moderation to determine if they are spam bots
Stick some zoas in there and see what he does. They are really attractive fish.

BryanF

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
ialtalal;296492 said:
So what did you end up doing with the fish?

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
He's still in quarantine but I think I'm going to give him a try. He developed a funky cauliflower thing on his fins which isn't reacting to copper or medication. Can anyone identify this, sorry bad cell pictures:

djkms

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I had lympho show up on a Bellus Angel I had a few years back. IME its not deadly, nor any real issue. It typically goes away on its own and when it did for me, it never came back. Even though they state its contagious, I never seen it spread to another fish.

BryanF

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
I know water quality is much better in my display which will be better for this fish, id hate to see it spread though..