Looking for high quality local live rock

So, like the title says, I'm looking for a local source of high quality live rock. I've run a reef before, and am setting up a new tank over the next two weeks. Tank is a standard 75 gallon overflow, which will have a deep sand bed. If anyone out there could please recommend some local sources, I'd sure appreciate it!

Thanks in advance!

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Aquatic Art always has a good stock of cycled live rock of different varieties

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Looking for high quality local live rock

jneps;367686 said:
Thanks, guys! I'll head down there this weekend...
Check the hours, only open a couple days a week or by appt. they are worth the trip and wait. Where are you located?

So, I've been looking into this a bit more, and it seems that it's now much more difficult to find genuine live rock that it was the last time I set up a tank, which was back in 2003. I'm not a newbie, having about 10 years experience with saltwater, but having been out of the hobby for about 8 years, was surprised to see that much of what is now being sold is this "Real Reef" stuff, which is certainly not what the name implies.

Does anyone have experience with this product, or better yet, know where one can get some genuine live rock locally?

I did go to Aquatic Art, chiefly upon the recommendations of those posting in reply to my question. The only stuff they had in any quantity was the "Real Reef" stuff. Do they typically have genuine live rock??

What I'm talking about is what was commonly sold about 10 years ago. It was rock which was probably farmed, but was not a specifically man-made product, and was covered with a variety of micro-fauna. Back in those days, when one said "live rock", it was pretty clear what was meant. No offense intended -- I am just surprised that this is now apparently somewhat ambiguous.

Most people nowadays don't want that kind of rock for the fear of pests that's why you're seeing these different kinds. Todd's tropical off hampden always has some live ocean rocks if thats the way you want to go.