1. Welcome to the shiny new site! Please have a look around and let us know how its working for you. Please note that all returning members will need to reset your passwords to login again. Click on "forgot password" to reset your password. Thanks
    Dismiss Notice

looking for some nice hardwood driftwood?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Tanks' started by kmellon, Nov 4, 2014.

1. kmellon

kmellon Prawn M.A.S.C Club Member

Hi everyone. Some of you know that I was working on setting up a 125g tank to be a freshwater planted tank. Well, I'm almost complete and have been looking for some nice driftwood but keep running into soft wood which isn't the best thing to use especially for a discus tank. Anyone have any old used driftwood hanging around or know of where I can find some? I would love to find some malyasian if possible.

Thanks

2. jahmic

jahmic Shark M.A.S.C Club Member

Have you considered manzanita at all? If that's an option, I have a couple sources I could provide. Granted, I haven't purchased any in a couple years but those contacts are likely still very active in the hobby.

3. TheRealChrisBrown

TheRealChrisBrown Sardine M.A.S.C Club Member

4. SkyShark

SkyShark Barracuda Staff Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. M.A.S.C Club Member

Looks like grape vine wood. I wonder if there is a risk from pesticides that could have been used on it?

5. opakapaka

opakapaka Cuttle Fish M.A.S.C Club Member

South Broadway Tropicals has really big pieces for decent prices.

6. kmellon

Haven't heard of it before, but it looks pretty interesting. Please send me some contact information.

7. kmellon

Thanks. Deninately looking for something that has either done well in an aquarium or is a known material.

8. kmellon

thanks. I'll have to check them out. Do they indicate what type of wood they have or do they just call it driftwood?

9. jahmic

jahmic Shark M.A.S.C Club Member

The contacts I have are through other fish forums. You may have to join to view this link (if you're not already a member here), but here is who I got my last shipment from:

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?p=6639242#post6639242

He will let you cherry pick pieces by the photos posted. Typically...if the photo is still up there the piece is still available. Shipping is pretty reasonable considering the size of the box needed for some pieces. His pieces have some pretty unique colors and streaking through the wood since he collects from areas that forest fires have recently ripped through. :)

The other option is Tom Barr. He has his own forum, and here's a link to his ongoing sale thread:

http://www.barrreport.com/showthread.php/16681-For-sale-Gnarled-Manzanita-driftwood-Batch-2-2014?

Haven't purchased from his since most of his pieces are geared toward larger tanks...but he has a really nice selection :)

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 6, 2014