Low alk

aztecdreams

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
My parameters have always been pretty stable and suddenly I can't seem to keep my alk up. I run a CA reactor and drip kalkwasser on my 240 sps dominate tank. I have large colonies and huge clams that are growing great but recently my alk tested at 5.5. Calcium is at 440, ph goes from 8.1-8.2, mag is at 1500. I thought my test kit was off so I borrowed one and it came back with the same readings. Anyone have any ideas what might be going on?

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
First thing I would do is check pumps and heaters for precipitation. Once it starts it just keeps going...if you haven't already checked them, might be time to soak some equipment in vinegar to see if things stabilize.

Last edited by a moderator:

DyM

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Only solution is to start with 2 part. To get your alk slowly in line. A lot of reasons for getting out of balance, nitrifying bacteria consume a lot of alk for example. Do you carbon dose or run a SO4 reactor?

aztecdreams

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
jahmic;343950 said:
First thing I would do is check pumps and heaters for precipitation. Once it starts it just keeps going...if you haven't already checked them already, might be time to soak some equipment in vinegar to see if things stabilize.
I haven't noticed any , but I'll do a better check

aztecdreams

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
DyM;343951 said:
Only solution is to start with 2 part. To get your alk slowly in line. A lot of reasons for getting out of balance, nitrifying bacteria consume a lot of alk for example. Do you carbon dose or run a SO4 reactor?
I already bought the 2 part kit and have been bringing it up slowly. I've noticed that I bump it up and when I test the next day it drops again,just not as low. I did use acropower for a bit until I got an algae bloom. Sounds like that may be my culprit

SkyShark

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Maybe try raising it back up with sodium bicarbonate. I have a 1/2 gallon BRS container I don't need if you are interested.
Might be able to get you to the point where the two part will maintain it.