Lowest cost and easiest way to eliminate green hair, bubble, turf and slime algae

daverf;208742 said:
If I used this light an a 12x12, it would be underpowered. Could I compensate for running it 24 x 7? I see the comment that "algae sleeps" so you shouldn't run it full time. However, I also see the comment that if double wattage is used, you can cut the lighting time in half - so why wouldn't the converse apply if lesser wattage than required is used? Also, what are your thoughts on the spectrums for this product?

http://www.amazon.com/BloomBoss-Enh...354296285&sr=8-33&keywords=red+led+grow+light
You can use this light on both side for a double sided screen. A 12x12 screen need 72 watt LED light. If you have one on each side, it will be total 90 watt.
Never left the light run 24x7, the algea will not grow.

daverf

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Thanks Kaia.

Reflectors: What does everyone suggest???? EDIT: for in-tank reflectors (that contact saltwater)

I'm not sure what's best. Mirror glass/acrylic has a sprayed silver chemical on the back that can't be tank-safe, mylar disintegrates per other threads on algaescrubber.net, can't seem to find a place that will laminate foil or mylar for me ("fire hazard", yeah right).

I thought about putting a mirror in an extra large ziploc storage bag, but don't want to trust that thin later of ziploc to protect my tank. Right now, I have laminated pieces of white paper.

This will be for ~180 square inch UAS.

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

daverf

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
i tried to have that done by office depot but they wouldnt. maybe ill go somewhere else totry that. thanks smokey.

daverf;209722 said:
Thanks Kaia.

Reflectors: What does everyone suggest???? EDIT: for in-tank reflectors (that contact saltwater)

I'm not sure what's best. Mirror glass/acrylic has a sprayed silver chemical on the back that can't be tank-safe, mylar disintegrates per other threads on algaescrubber.net, can't seem to find a place that will laminate foil or mylar for me ("fire hazard", yeah right).

I thought about putting a mirror in an extra large ziploc storage bag, but don't want to trust that thin later of ziploc to protect my tank. Right now, I have laminated pieces of white paper.

This will be for ~180 square inch UAS.

Thanks!
Sorry, I took too long to respond.
Are you doing a single sided UAS?
180 square inch UAS will be huge. It will be handling about 7-8 cubes of food a day.

Make sure that your size is according to the feeding guide line.
For a screen size of screen size is 3 X 4 inches = 12 square inches of screen. It can handle:
1 frozen cube per day (2-sided screen), or
1/2 frozen cube per day (1-sided screen), or
10 pinches of flake food per day (2-sided screen), or
5 pinches of flake food per day (1-sided screen), or
10 square inches (60 sq cm) of nori per day (2-sided screen), or
5 square inches (30 sq cm) of nori per day (1-sided screen), or
0.1 dry ounce (2.8 grams) of pellet food per day (2-sided screen), or
0.05 dry ounce (1.4 grams) of pellet food per day (1-sided screen)

For the reflector, the cheap and easy way will be using a thin plastic sheet.
The LED light you listed above will work great with the UAS. Just make sure that you have half watt per square inch of the screen.

daverf

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Kaia - thanks! Yep, this is a biggie, sized about right for gallons and feeding. The laminated paper probably will work the same as a plastic sheet, but was hoping to find a mirror. Oh well, I may use the glass mirror with a ziploc moving bag wrapping. I wasn't sure if/when you'd stop back by, so I set up a separate build thread on MASC with my rough start (below) - appreciate any other comments here or there.

http://www.marinecolorado.org/forum...-180G-capacity-Upflow-Algae-Scrubber-Feedback

Cake_Boss

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
Re: Lowest cost and easiest way to eliminate green hair, bubble, turf and slime algae

Random question, can I put the screen wrapped around the inside of a TLF reactor? That way its contained and you don't need to worry about lights touching the saltwater.

Would this be a regular ATS? If I put a skimmer pump to power it, would it be an UAS?

Would this even work?

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk HD

H2O_intolerant;216464 said:
Random question, can I put the screen wrapped around the inside of a TLF reactor? That way its contained and you don't need to worry about lights touching the saltwater.

Would this be a regular ATS? If I put a skimmer pump to power it, would it be an UAS?

Would this even work?

You need to make sure the conditions is met for UAS to work.
1)Big bubbles that flow across the screen
2)Suitable lighting
3)rough screen

Also the screen in the tube might be hard to clean.
I have saw a design on another site. He used PVC tube as the container.
I have pm you the light so you can get some idea from the design.

Cake_Boss

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
Re: Lowest cost and easiest way to eliminate green hair, bubble, turf and slime algae

I saw your link, looked like a bunch of work. The screen is attached to the top part of the reactor. I'll post progress pics.

daverf

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
SantaMonicaHelp, any tips on dealing with growth on the glass? I get algal growth at the same rate on glass as on screen. Am I not spacing things out enough, overpowered on light/reflection, etc. Otherwise I've done everything correctly in air that matches LPM guide, water flow, lighting matching the screen size etc.

It's not a big deal scraping the glass, but obviously that defeats the purpose of using the scrubber...since it doesn't achieve nutrient export...

Air Pump Recommendations for UAS® upflow algae scrubbers®. Having bought and tried all of these, here are the best ones:

Flow (highest to lowest):

Coralife Super Luft... TONS of flow for multiple outlets or multiple scrubbers
Tetra Whisper 300... High flow if both outlets are combined into one
JW Aquatic Fusion 700... High flow if both outlets are combined into one
Tetra Whisper 150... Good flow for one outlet
Coralife Luft (regular)... Good flow for one outlet

Noise (most to least):

Coralife Super Luft... (Loud; vibrates)
Coralife Luft (regular)... (Vibrates)
JW Aquatic Fusion 700... Slight vibration
Tetra Whisper 300... Silent
Tetra Whisper 150... Silent

Size: (big to small):

Tetra Whisper 300... Large
JW Aquatic Fusion 700... Medium
Coralife Super Luft... Medium
Tetra Whisper 150... Medium
Coralife Luft (regular)... Small

Cost (most to least):

Coralife Super Luft
Coralife Luft (regular)
Tetra Whisper 300
Tetra Whisper 150
JW Aquatic Fusion 700

Overall winner for a single UAS scrubber used at home: JW Aquatic Fusion 700 (also is the only one with adjustable flow)
Overall winner for multiple UAS scrubbers if noise if ok: Coralife Super Luft

1982: The original dump-bucket style algae scrubber (works, but very hard to build, install, operate, and harvest)

2008: Waterfall style algae scrubber (works good but hard to build and install; must be removed to harvest)

2011: Upflow style scrubber (work goods, easier to build and install on the glass; must be removed to harvest)

2013: ??? (work great, all 3D growth, easy to build, and instant in-place harvesting without needing to remove anything or turn anything off).

daverf

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
SantaMonicaHelp;244765 said:
2013: ??? (work great, all 3D growth, easy to build, and instant in-place harvesting without needing to remove anything or turn anything off).
Let's hear about it!

Cake_Boss

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member

andyrm66;244798 said:
So hows this going for the guys here that have tried it?
Loved mine. I modded a TLF reactor to be an algae scrubber. Grew algae great, no longer running though.