MACNA Files

hurrafreak

Orca
M.A.S.C Club Member
Steven, if you have any other documents it seems as though Derek has fixed everything and you should be able to put them up :)

I found some more stuff you all might find useful.

This is the bid DFWMAS won the rights for MACNA 2012 with. They also gave a PowerPoint, but this was the supplement to that presentation.

I went with them to tour three hotels. During our visit, we crossed one off, but either of the other two would have worked. They created this little comparison to show MASNA they had done their homework. It was also useful to play the hotels against one another.

This is a budget they created to show MASNA that they were prepared. It is also a very good idea to do one to make sure your prices for attendees and booths works for your particular circumstances.

To go along with the budget, here are the actuals from MASNA 19. This was 5 years ago, so adjust for inflation and the show being smaller back then, but it will give you an idea.

hurrafreak

Orca
M.A.S.C Club Member
Steven Pro;182421 said:
I found some more stuff you all might find useful.

This is the bid DFWMAS won the rights for MACNA 2012 with. They also gave a PowerPoint, but this was the supplement to that presentation.
Nice!! When I called Marc the other day he said he didn't know if he could get it for me.

Visit Denver heard the word aquarium and contacted the Denver Aquarium to see if they would be interested in doing something with MACNA 2014. They responded hoping to have the banquet there. It might be very cool. Atlanta's banquet at the Georgia Aquarium is something I will never forget! But, it was a half mile away as the crow flies and a pleasant walk through Centenial park for those like me that preferred to walk instead of ride the rental buses. The Denver Aquarium looks to be about 2+ miles from the Sheraton. It could be a logistical nightmare transporting 1500+ people. And then there are the budgetary constraints. I have attached a proposal and menu from the Denver Aquarium for your review.

rmougey

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
We've held several events at the Downtown Aquarium... FragStock (run by SCMAS) for two years and ReefStock for 5 years. They are great folks... however.... there is no easy way to transport a large number of folks from the Downtown Sheraton to the Aquarium. The restaurant is not too bad, it's owned by Landry's, the same folks who have a Downtown Aquarium in DFW.

A couple of thoughts about logistics solutions:

- The Aquarium is a 2 mile stroll from the hotel, and about 3 miles by vehicle.

- Public Transportation options: the free 16th Street Mall shuttle runs past the hotel and to the Union Station Light Rail line near Commons Park. The walk from the station, through Commons and Confluence park is just under a mile on well traveled, well marked paved paths.

- The aquarium has it's own parking facility, which charges a fee. We will have several folks who will travel to Denver and obtain rental cars. Locals or folks nearby will also have vehicles. It's possible that we could simply ask them to use their own private transportation. Asking for folks to volunteer to drive attendees in their own private vehicles opens up lots of liability issues. We can negotiate free parking into the agreement.

- The aquarium is interesting, but certainly far from the major aquariums found elsewhere in the US.

I looked over the menus and proposals and my initial thought was that were very proud of their food.... :)

Cool idea... but I'm inclined to say no..... logistically difficult and rather expensive...

Other thoughts??

hurrafreak

Orca
M.A.S.C Club Member
I personally would also say that logistically it would be a nightmare to get people the miles away that the Aquarium is. Maybe instead of doing the banquet there and incorporating it into MACNA, we can negotiate a special price (including parking) for anyone that goes to the aquarium and has their MACNA wrist band on? That way the aquarium is still getting business from MACNA and we are having to try and shuttle everyone there as they could do it on their own time?

I agree. Attempting to transport 1,500-2,000 people those 2-3 miles could very well be a nightmare. It would require a fleet of buses to accomplish, which adds cost in addition to the actual Aquarium costs. I think the discount for MACNA attendees is a great idea!

Something that also has been done in the past might work. Some MACNA's have held a "VIP" dinner Thursday night. This is not a requirement, just something some have done. It is a much smaller group consisting of MACNA volunteers, sponsors, and speakers. Ballpark about 100 people, a much easier group to move. The Aquarium might be a venue to consider.

jonthefb

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
My original thoughts were akin to what Juan posted above. I would definitely like to incorporate the Aquarium into the event, but I dont think that having the banquet there would work. If we could arrange a behind the scenes tour, free/discounted parking and admission, I think that would be very cool. They have dive programs at the aquarium, and lots to offer to the MACNA attendees. We could also look at doing something similar to the Denver Zoo and their Tropical Discovery section? I would love to incorporate Rob Brynda or some of the other aquarists at DDA as speakers for the conference if at all possible.

jonthefb

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Steven, was the PowerPoint that Dallas presented at the Banquet in Des Moines last year the same one they submitted to the MASNA board?

amonchak

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C Treasurer
I agree that the banquet at the Aquarium is not very realistic. Other items mentioned are interesting, and I think we should evaluate further.

jonthefb;183954 said:
Steven, was the PowerPoint that Dallas presented at the Banquet in Des Moines last year the same one they submitted to the MASNA board?
No, they were very different. Selling your bid to the MASNA board is a different thing than promoting it to attendees. Some similar elements, but attendees could care less about how prepared your club is for the workload. They want to know about the hotel, free wi-fi, parking costs, reception, banquet, etc.

hurrafreak

Orca
M.A.S.C Club Member
jonthefb;183954 said:
I believe Steven attached a copy of the bid that DFW put in?

hurrafreak

Orca
M.A.S.C Club Member
Steven Pro;184075 said:
Yes, I attached a copy of their "paper" bid. They also had a PowerPoint presentation that covered similar topics, but I don't have that.
When I spoke with Marc on the phone he said they also submitted the powerpoint they did. I'll have to try and contact him again to see if he can send it to me.

amonchak

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C Treasurer
Contract Added. All Committee membeers need to have read and reviewed this per question #6.

amonchak

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C Treasurer
Juan this is for you--- Check your email for the most recent budgets. Please be sure you are reviewing REV2 budgets.

I also attached them here for the email haters......