Mag dosing

Cherub

Hey you
M.A.S.C Club Member
my kalk+2 from Brightwell has it included, apparently I do dose it lol forgot about it.

[attachment=60776:name]

KhensuRa

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I use brightwells A and B... But man I really need to stop being lazy and test my water more.

Wicked Color

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Regular water changes with quality salt should supply all the mag you need, if you are like me and dont do very many changes BRS 2 part is one of the more cost effective options, also be aware that mag will increase your salinity, so dose it slowly.

andrew

Butterfly Fish
so it sounds like BRS is a good for supplementing mag. are there any better higher grade ones I should know about or any one have luck with something else as far as stability and its ability to work very well. The BRS looks like a good deal!!!!

Zooid

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
It's too difficult to find Magnesium Hexahydrate in this area. When I first started reefing, I bought some
from an IceMelt company in Brighton but it's easier to buy from BRS and the BRS stuff is cleaner.

Cake_Boss

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
I use whatever I win, lol.

Just got done using Magnesion(brightwell), probably won't use it again due to low concentration.

I've used the AquaVitro one, worked well. Gets expensive though.

Currently trying BRS mag chloride. Instructions say to mix with the mag sulphate(epson salt) though.

I used to mix a few cups epson salt in my ato container. Worked well but was told to keep up on my water changes because of (forgot what Jon said, sure wish he'd login again)

Walter White

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I used to to use Brightwell Magnesion but I found that it didnt work all that well and seemed to me to already be precipitated out of solution right in the bottle. Big solid chunks in the bottle. I switched to aquavitro ions and that worked very well. I does two part now that includes a mag supliment and havent really needed to does mag itself since.

BRS two part is great. Two different recipes, one for maintenance and one for bring up the magnesium levels significantly. Pretty sure you can mix the magnesium and calcium solutions if you want to reduce the amount of dosing pumps you use.

Bajamike

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Helix;157113 said:
BRS two part is great. Two different recipes, one for maintenance and one for bring up the magnesium levels significantly. Pretty sure you can mix the magnesium and calcium solutions if you want to reduce the amount of dosing pumps you use.
Any truth to this? Mix same amount or?

fiji4118

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
majicmike;157643 said:
Any truth to this? Mix same amount or?
Not sure I would do this. You would have to double the amount added in order to get the correct calcium and that would be way too much mag.

djkms

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
When I was using a CA reactor I just added dolomite to it. Now I use Kent Marine Tech-M. Its a bit expensive but magnesium depletes pretty slow and the Tech-M kills bryopsis as well :)

We use the BRS stuff for our maintenance accounts.