Majano Anemone

Skrappy

Cleaner Shrimp
M.A.S.C Club Member
just noticed a Majano anemone pop out of a coral i bought today, it seems the coralrx dip didnt kill it. Is there anyone located near Todd's tropical fish store, that has a tiny tiny bit of kalkwasser and a syringe they would let me use for just a second to kill this thing before it breeds and infests my whole tank?

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Just run down to king soopers or walmart. Pick up some pickling lime (same thing as kalk) and a syringe. It will probably cost you like 5 bucks.

Btw no coral dips will kill aptasia or majano anemones. Inspection before purchase is key.

Last edited by a moderator:

Skrappy

Cleaner Shrimp
M.A.S.C Club Member
Thanks for the info, I looked into the pickling lime at walmart and cheapest I could find it for was $16 and another $4 for the syringe. Bad time to be broke, but it happens, so unfortunately I can't go the fast walmart fix :(

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Do you have a QT tank or small setup you could house it in temporarily so it doesnt spread? Im sure someone going to the meeting on saturday has a syring you can borrow and I've got plenty of kalk (but no extra syringes).

Skrappy

Cleaner Shrimp
M.A.S.C Club Member
I just moved here less than a week ago from Louisville and can't seem to find either of the 20gal tanks I used from QT, I hope I didnt forget them in my porch closet. I am going to try to make it to the Aquamart meeting(will be my first) but I don't drive and my girlfriends work schedule may not allow her to take me, luckily it is pretty close so I may be able to bus it there if i can win the battle with laziness and my own odd anti-social quirks.

Skrappy

Cleaner Shrimp
M.A.S.C Club Member
As it is on a frag, I have considered just burying the nem under my sand. Would that kill it after a few days, or just cause it to breed/move to places without me seeing it?

SilverSurfer

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Skrappy;320397 said:
Thanks for the info, I looked into the pickling lime at walmart and cheapest I could find it for was $16 and another $4 for the syringe. Bad time to be broke, but it happens, so unfortunately I can't go the fast walmart fix :(
I have some pickling lime and Im not too far from todds. No syringe though.

Skrappy

Cleaner Shrimp
M.A.S.C Club Member
Thanks for all the replies, I just decided I would do the easy thing(don't know why I didn't think of it sooner) and cut the chunk of rock off the rest of the frag tomorrow when the sun comes up. Gotta find things to use the fancy diamond dremel bits on anyhow. Thanks again everyone.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Skrappy;320405 said:
Thanks for all the replies, I just decided I would do the easy thing(don't know why I didn't think of it sooner) and cut the chunk of rock off the rest of the frag tomorrow when the sun comes up. Gotta find things to use the fancy diamond dremel bits on anyhow. Thanks again everyone.
Just be sure to get all of it, any pieces left behind will become a new one. If you are in denver anytime soon I have lots of kalk and a syringe you could use.

Jeremiah

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Walgreens gave me a few free ones.

I once asked if i could purchase one and they handed me a few. I asked how much and they said they don't charge for them. Something about giving them to the diabetes patients with medication for free.

Not saying your walgreens would do that, but wouldn't hurt to ask the pharmacy.

Edit: I explained to them what i was doing with them before they gave me them. Not sure if it would have made a difference, but i'm sure they don't want to just hand them out to anyone for any reason.

Skrappy;320397 said:

Last edited by a moderator:

Skrappy

Cleaner Shrimp
M.A.S.C Club Member
I'm sure I wont always be able to cut every pest I ever get off a rock, so I'll keep the wallgreens tip in mind next time I am headed over to one. Thanks again everyone