Making a wet/dry into a sump??

Robbiekrause33

Clown Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
alright so ive got a wet dry filtration system under my tank it measures 24"Long 12" wide and 14" High
the first 12" is filled with the bioballs
the second 12" has a little 4" pump so i was thinking about maybe putting the pump in the corner and putting egg crate around it to protect it and using the rest of the room as a sump deal with live rock and alge.

what do you think would there be a problem is this just a good or bad idea?

Smiley

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
good idea, but almost think it would be wiser to sell w/d and build a real sump. on the other hand, plop a pic here to help me understand what you have. I would think that the first chamber be for skimmer and second for live rock.. no need for cage around return pump, just big chunks of liverock.

Robbiekrause33

Clown Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
i was also thinking of maybe getting rid of the bioballs and put live rock in that section then have a small section for alge then a skimmer and my pump but your idea with just selling it would be smarter if i went that way i think

Smiley

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
oh ya dude.... id totally put filter sock and skimmer in first chamber with liverock and return pump in second...

Cake_Boss

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
Re: Making a wet/dry into a sump??

Smiley;216961 said:
oh ya dude.... id totally put filter sock and skimmer in first chamber with liverock and return pump in second...
This dude knows what he's talking about, great advice.

I'll post a few pics in a bit too help you visualize.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk HD

Robbiekrause33

Clown Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
so you put your live rock where the bioballs where so you could still get the drip effect correct? now if i did that type of set up where would i put my algae and light for the algae? like i said up top i've only got 12" to play with for a skimmer

Smiley

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
with that setup, i wouldnt worry about macroalgae... just room for rock, skimmer, and return pump...

i was actually thinking that you would have filter sock and protein skimmer in one side and live rock with return pump in other... almost opposite of whats posted above... just so im not skimming out whatever food is growing in the liverock.