Mangrove group buy

fishguy69

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Will there be any NOCO folks that will be picking there plants up on Saturday that might be able to bring ours up??? PLEASE!

FinsUp

According to my watch, the time is now.
M.A.S.C Club Member
I believe the leaves need to be out of the water. Until they get tall enough to do that while planted in substrate/sand, I stick them through a piece of foam that floats on the surface.

FinsUp

M.A.S.C Club Member
Just got the tracking number for our mangroves - they'll get shipped out tomorrow mornin', and should be arriving here by the 6th.

FinsUp

M.A.S.C Club Member
The mangroves are in, and they look GREAT! Tall, thick, nice color, leaves and roots all over the place, etc. I've got them all in a big plastic tub with tankwater, and will count them out tomorrow at the meeting when you come get them from me. Bring a vase, bucket, gallon size ziploc bag or cooler for yours. Please note- most of them are about a foot long, some longer & some shorter. They're about as thick as my forefinger. Take that into account when you choose your container for them. If I remember, I'll try to bring some extra ziploc bags.

If you're having someone pick yours up, please let me know in advance.

ReefCheif

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
Awesome, thanks again for setting this up Cindy!!

FinsUp

M.A.S.C Club Member
A quick snapshot with my phone. They're mostly the same height, but some look a lot shorter because they're piled on top of each other in the bag.[attachment=65597:name]

Haddonisreef

Orca
M.A.S.C Club Member
They look awesome, my advice not sure if it has been mentioned but keep a spray bottle w ro close to spray any salt creep and to keep them moist.

FinsUp

M.A.S.C Club Member
yeah, for sure. Right now, they're sitting in saltwater in the bag so they don't dry out.

FinsUp

M.A.S.C Club Member
OK all - talked to the seller last night, and he taught me a bit more about the mangroves that I thought I'd share.

The leaves DO need to be out of the water. They should NOT be fully submerged. They can be tied to acrylic rods that are stuck into your sand/substrate, if you need to elevate them. You can also cut a piece of styrofoam to fit them into, which will float them at the surface and allow the roots to reach down into the sand. Once that happens, and the roots can stabilize the mangrove, the rod or foam can go away.

It looks really cool when the roots grow all the way down from about halfway up in your fuge, because they form kind of a cage that seahorses and fish (smaller ones) can swim in and around. Just my opinion, anyway.

The higher the leaves are out of the water, the less salt spray will get on them, and you won't have to mist them as often.

They will do MUCH better if they are stationary in the water. If they are moving around, the plant won't grow roots or leaves as quickly. Apparently mangrove seeds/seedlings know when they're not stationary, will remain dormant until they stop moving. Once they are stationary, they then sprout, grow, and take root. He sent us young plants so that would more easily adapt to our tank conditions.
The seller guarantees these for 2 months. If you have any problems, contact him directly and tell him you were part of the Denver parrothead's group buy. That'll make him laugh, and he'll know exactly who you're talking about. His name is Jim, and he can be reached through his ebay listings. He's a very helpful guy, who can probably answer any questions you might have about mangroves.

fishguy69

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Cindy...
Once again thanks for taking charge of this buy...

V

FinsUp

M.A.S.C Club Member
You're welcome, guys. Thank you to everyone for working with me on the short timeframe, and pay-in-advance requirement. Hopefully these work great for ya. I love the look of plants growing out of fuges and display tanks. Can't wait to get these growing in our DSB & macro satellite tank.