1. Welcome to the shiny new site! Please have a look around and let us know how its working for you. Please note that all returning members will need to reset your passwords to login again. Click on "forgot password" to reset your password. Thanks
    Dismiss Notice

Mangroves?

Discussion in 'Saltwater Plants and Macro Algaes' started by Miah2bzy, May 18, 2015.

1. Miah2bzy

Miah2bzy Barracuda M.A.S.C Club Member

How should I have my mangrove? Right now it's in a crevice of live rock w the tip up. [​IMG]

2. TheRealChrisBrown

TheRealChrisBrown Sardine M.A.S.C Club Member

I don't know if it needs to be that deep, but it might not matter how much of the stalk is up as long as the (soon to be) leaf is out of the water. And I'm sure you've heard you have to mist it daily with fresh water to rinse off the salt (simulate daily rain). I neglected mine and it went fast! Good luck.

3. MuralReef

MuralReef Marlin Staff Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. M.A.S.C Club Member

Top needs to be above water or it will die.

4. Miah2bzy

Miah2bzy Barracuda M.A.S.C Club Member

Been doing some more research and going to try to get a small basket with small sand/coral rubble for it to grow in. I already have a mister I can set to a timer to come on daily with ro water for a few minutes from the ato res. Thanks guys! I'll let you know how it goes *fingers crossed*

5. FinsUp

FinsUp According to my watch, the time is now. M.A.S.C Club Member

Once they take off, they grow fast. I didn't have to mist mine, but they were in the fish room, which was plenty humid, so that might've helped.

At the advice of the grower, I used styrofoam to suspend them in the water and stabilize them, and their roots grew downward and took hold in the sand bed. At that point, I could remove the styrofoam. I loved how they looked with the roots growing down into the sand, and fish/crabs moving around them. They don't do well if they're getting buffeted about a lot by the current. They very much prefer to be stable.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015