Mantis build

Wicked Color

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
They can be reclusive untill they get established and comfortable, I have several and they all have different social behaviors.

othercents

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
wicked demon;82458 said:
They can be reclusive untill they get established and comfortable, I have several and they all have different social behaviors.
I was just concerned that after I moved him he became very quiet. Typically they won't molt so quickly after a move, but he did. Nice thing is that his burrow out the front of the rock was open yesterday which was the first time in over 2 weeks. I also noticed him closing the borrow last night for bed time. He would place a rock move it around and then pull it back out because it wasn't quiet right. He used 4 or 5 different rocks until he found the right one (which happened to be the butt end of a snail shell.

I am going to get some ghost shrimp for him to eat. Maybe that will pull him out of his home and into the open some more too. Plus the shrimp will give me some more to look at.

cents that mantis you have there is Neogonodactylus Wennerae. They're pretty easy to keep. I reccomend the really small nassarius snails, about the size of a small bean, theyre cheap and they provide food for ages.

othercents

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
xjdiver;83413 said:
cents that mantis you have there is Neogonodactylus Wennerae. They're pretty easy to keep. I reccomend the really small nassarius snails, about the size of a small bean, theyre cheap and they provide food for ages.
Thanks... I don't remember if I ever posted the scientific name here, but I did on the RC forums. Right now he has been feeding on Dwarf Ceriths, but he has small nassarius snails and some small blue leg hermits with one large one. I saw a claw in the sand from the large blue leg hermit, so I think he lost a fight. I don't think you would typically see meat hanging out of the claw if it was shedding.

The mantis has rearranged it's living quarters and I was able to get a video of it, which was the first time I have seen him since I moved him to the 5G tank. I will post the video when I get home and can upload it, however the video is boring since the mantis just sits staring into the camera. Must be camera shy.

David

Wicked Color

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Thats cool! My wife took a video of one of my small ones attacking a hermit, pop, pop ,pop,......

othercents

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Yes mine too which makes me wish I did a FOWLR/Mantis display tank with maybe a few softies. I could place him and his rock into my display now, but there is a sally lightfoot crab in the display with a cleaner shrimp. The scooter blenny might also have issues with the mantis. At this point he is in a 5.5G. The video was a compilation of about 14 minutes that I filmed him when I wasn't in the room.

Side note on video. I tried my Flip Camera and my Cannon for video, but the iPhone came out the best. The other two were extremely blurry. The iPhone wil be better if I can get a better distance from the mantis. I also don't like the substrate of just using crushed coral. I think the better idea is to use a mix of crushed coral and aragonite.