Marine Beta/Comet

I wanted to get some opinions on the Marine Beta. I think they are one of the coolest fish. I want to get one, but I'm concerned about putting one in my reef tank with inverts (I love my shrimp!). I've been thinking about setting up a nano reef and getting a comet. Does anyone have experience with this fish? Can they go in a smaller tank like freshwater beta? Would he be ok in my reef?

Fosternsmith says 50 gallon min size... :decision:

I'm pretty sure he'd eat the inverts in the reef... The ones I've seen have been fed ghost shrimp. I know that they can get pretty large. I'm not sure if a nano would be the best for it.

Last edited by a moderator:

FinsUp

According to my watch, the time is now.
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have a marine betta in my 180 mixed reef, and he hasn't so much as looked at my coral or inverts (hermits, snails, cleaner shrimp, scarlet shrimp, and harlequin shrimp). He was in a reef tank when I got him, so I knew he was well-behaved already or I wouldn't have done it. I don't think a smaller tank is a good idea. The name may sound the same, but the marine betta is a grouper, and they grow large. Mine's 7-8" long.

ReefCheif

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
I would have to say absolutly not to a Marine Betta in a nano. As Cindy has stated they get big. As far as being reef safe, just like any other fish its a case by case basis. Some get lucky like Cindy, others end up feeding the MB expensive decorative snaks!

FinsUp

M.A.S.C Club Member
Yeah, I'm definitely lucky with this one. He's a scaredychicken! For a supposed predator fish, he hides most of the time like he's scared of all the other fish in the tank. Even the chromis.

Ya I I didn't realize how big they got lol. I guess the nano is out...don't know if I want to risk upsetting the balance in my reef. I will have to put it on the backburner till I can build a FOWLR.

FinsUp

M.A.S.C Club Member
That's the safest thing to do. That said... keep an eye out for one that's in a reef and behaving itself. I know one that will be available in about a year or so... :dance:

scchase

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
B.O.D. Member-at-Large
You can also get them tank raised and tiny they do grow pretty slow and I know someone that wants a bigger one at some point as well

gajake

Cleaner Shrimp
M.A.S.C Club Member
I've had mine for a few months and I love this fish. They are very shy and spend most of the time in the rocks. Mine is in my 55G and he/she's about 3" not counting fins. That's important because they have a lot of fin. When someone talks about size it can be deceiving. The only concern is with small shrimp that he can slurp into his mouth. Probably eat fish that are small enough to swallow aslo but they'd have to be pretty small. Not interested in any of the crabs, snails or my Coral Banded Shrimp. Feeding is a problem since they don't join in the feeding frenzy, but hang back and hunt for what they can get. I usually manage to get him a frozen or freeze dried Krill and he will eat some Mysis that drifts his way.[attachment=65683:name]

scchase;283509 said:
You can also get them tank raised and tiny they do grow pretty slow and I know someone that wants a bigger one at some point as well
I've had several "tank raise" Marine Betta's and found that since they were raised on pelleted foods, they didn't seem to associate live foods as food! The first ones I got (only about 1" long) refused live brine shrimp, but "pigged out" on pelleted and flake foods. So maybe "tank raised" Marine Betta's maybe OK in a reef tank. BUT again, once they "tasted" live food they definitely enjoyed it and started eating it!