Miami???

halmus

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
I'm off to Miami in a few days. I won't be there very long. Any recommendations on where to visit within a reasonable driving distance of Miami? I'm scuba certified but would need a refresh before feeling comfortable going diving for real, it's been a while since I went diving. I'm open to snorkeling if there's a reef worth seeing, but I'm not all that interested in wreck diving.

Otherwise, shops that are a "must see" or public aquariums worth visiting? Restaurants? General attractions?

I could be there longer, my wife is there for a week for a conference. I'm just joining for a few days because I wanted a few extra days off work to work on my own personal reef.

Thanks for any input.

halmus

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Thanks for the feedback. I'll have to check that place out.

Hopefully the plane has wifi. I need to do some research but I'm too busy while I'm home.

SkyShark

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
If you do want to dive I recommend A-1 Scuba for a refresher course. I did it a couple years ago and found it very valuable and easy to schedule. I want to say it was about $100 for a private refresher course.
I don't have any Miami tips though. Have fun!

halmus

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Thanks for the tip. I have been so preoccupied with trying to get my tank running, I haven't made time for the refresher prior to the trip. I also haven't looked at the good places to dive in Florida.

When the time comes to get the refresher, I'll definitely check out A-1.

scchase

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
B.O.D. Member-at-Large
If you feel like collecting do a search from some of my threads. Just off the bridge pilings are great spots and a smaller box will fit in a larger suitcase, I have one if you want.

spinycheek

Featured Sponsors
Featured Sponsor
Visit to the Everglades is always a favorite of mine, should see lots of alligators, birds and turtles this time of year. Miami Zoo is really good, much nicer than Denver's. Water activities in the Gulf will be extremely cold in January, I couldn't hang for more than a few minutes in the water. My favorite dive/snorkel thing to do in Florida is the manatee tours, but I think Miami doesn't have any good ones, you'd have to drive up to Crystal River to actually get in the water with them.

halmus

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
scchase;n665697 said:
If you feel like collecting do a search from some of my threads. Just off the bridge pilings are great spots and a smaller box will fit in a larger suitcase, I have one if you want.
I remember reading about you collecting down there. I'm nowhere near the point where I can collect although it's a great idea if I was ready. I still don't have running water. If I would have thought about the trip a little bit ahead of time, I could have offered to bring back some goodies for someone here. Thanks for the offer on the box.

halmus

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Crotalus;n665728 said:
Visit to the Everglades is always a favorite of mine, should see lots of alligators, birds and turtles this time of year. Miami Zoo is really good, much nicer than Denver's. Water activities in the Gulf will be extremely cold in January, I couldn't hang for more than a few minutes in the water. My favorite dive/snorkel thing to do in Florida is the manatee tours, but I think Miami doesn't have any good ones, you'd have to drive up to Crystal River to actually get in the water with them.
Thank you for the suggestions. I definitely should check out the zoo. I didn't think it would be cold even this time of year. I'm picturing sunny beaches 400 days a year. But, I grew up in a corn field in the midwest so my vision of Florida might be skewed.

spinycheek

Featured Sponsors
Featured Sponsor
halmus;n665743 said:
Thank you for the suggestions. I definitely should check out the zoo. I didn't think it would be cold even this time of year. I'm picturing sunny beaches 400 days a year. But, I grew up in a corn field in the midwest so my vision of Florida might be skewed.
Usually the air is pretty pleasant, but sometimes you get frost down there. My wife and I took a trip to Key Largo in January a few years ago and they got a record cold snap, below freezing for a couple days and we were NOT dressed appropriately! The water temperature can fluctuate from uncomfortably cold in winter to bathtub water in the summer. It really is a seasonal place, but usually pleasant. Your trip should be good.