Micro bubbles and loud drain

KhensuRa

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
So what gives? This is my first try with a non all in one and I am having sump issues. I am getting a ton of noise from the durso and a ton of micro bubbles. I thought I had done enough research but I have no clue how to fix the issue. Any help please, or if anyone in is in my hood (lakewood) and wants to come take a look at what I jacked up that would rock.

Cake_Boss

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
What fixed my noise was reducing the amount of flow to my tank from my return.
Lyle has a unique idea too, hopefully he'll chime in to clarify. He put adjustable air valves in the pipe. That way you can dial in the right amount of air/water combo.

Edit, I initially read through a bunch of RC threads on the topic. All seemed to say to drill a bigger hole, which made the problem worse. Reducing flow is what helped me. Mine gets diverted to my sump and soon a reactor as well.

KhensuRa

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I drilled a hole in the cap and put a air line with a valve on it, but it still was not enough air flow so I ended up having to drill another smaller hole just so it would sound like the loudest toilet ever.

Metalsniper

Anthias
M.A.S.C Club Member
Are you running a single durso standpipe? Problems with durso are caused by too much or too little air so I'm not sure which might be the problem. If you have any of the little air valves that come with skimmers and powerheads you could try attaching it to your airline to adjust the amount of air flowing in. In this way you may be able to both position where the air is going and how much of it, assuming it's too much. If it is too little, only a bigger hole will help I think. I'm not too far away so depending on if you get it fixed or not I may be able to help.

Bajamike

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
what size is the durso? I had horrible noise with 1" pipe I went to 1 1/4 and reduced it just before the bulkhead all gone

fiji4118

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Agree with the bigger pipe. I had several caps for my durso and just kept adding small (1/8") holes in it until it stabilized and the noise was gone. If you add to may just start with a new cap.

HoosierDaddy

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
I used 1 1/4" pipe on mine reduced to 1" as well and I still cannot get it dialed in. I tried different caps with different hole sizes. If it is too small it acts like a flushing toilet. If I make the hole too big it sounds like when you finish a large coke through a straw at mcDonalds but steady. I cannot figure it out myself and just made it where it is tolerable for now. I am real curious to see what to do as well. Would reducing the flow alot really help?

fiji4118

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
That's how mine is set up. I think I have 4 1/8" holes drilled in mine. I can adjust the flow out of my blue line pump to any level and it makes no noise. I think the key is multiple holes not a single hole that is bigger. Also have the pipe wrapped with Teflon tape to keep air from leaking that way. Hope that helps.

Adam

Hoosier Daddy;157662 said:
I used 1 1/4" pipe on mine reduced to 1" as well and I still cannot get it dialed in. I tried different caps with different hole sizes. If it is too small it acts like a flushing toilet. If I make the hole too big it sounds like when you finish a large coke through a straw at mcDonalds but steady. I cannot figure it out myself and just made it where it is tolerable for now. I am real curious to see what to do as well. Would reducing the flow alot really help?

Bajamike

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Hoosier Daddy;157662 said:
Scott you have to much fall and siphon. Put a 90 just below the floor and it should stop mine was doing that to until I put a 90 in the pipe. When it falls 10' it starts a mean siphon.

I have also heard to put a t below the floor and a vent pipe. I dont know if this works it is something I read

Last edited by a moderator:

KhensuRa

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Put in the 1 inch pipe for the durso and man did that make a difference. Plus what I did is cap it with no holes and ran the pump and drilled the holes as to get the right amount of flow.

Thanks you ever one for your help. Now i just need to watch close to see if all the micro bubbles go away. So far it is mega quite and I don't feel like I need to pee every time i walk by the living room.

If it's still not bubble free enough and quiet enough go with the "herbie method". That's what I use and it's Completely silent and completely bubble free. I'll never go any other way, and I've tryed them all.