Mike & Sara's 55g Reef Build

Frag rack does look really nice! The only thing I might do is swap out the suction cups with magnets, just cause suction cups WILL fail at somepoint and it would suck to come home and all your frags are jumbled together on your sand in a battle to the death!

mlobato;28161 said:
New softie. A yellow toadstool leather. Very bright. Also made frag rack yesterday.

I agree, just don't know where to find any that will resist saltwater. In fact one suction cup failed today (because I moved it) and it almost dumped all of the frags. Other than today, it has been very stable but magnets would be great.

hurrafreak

Orca
M.A.S.C Club Member
"A battle to the death" lol, that sounds cool lol!

Anyways, gomo is right, the mag floats or other branded scraping magnets would work. I believe dans mixed reef recently did a DIY frag rack with those.

Got some sweet frags today. I will take some pics when all of them open up a little. Lavendar acro, Red Planet acro, blue mushroom, white pulsing xenia, red monti, orange zoas, and a black urchin.

dv3

Beluga
M.A.S.C Club Member
mlobato;63112 said:
Got some sweet frags today. I will take some pics when all of them open up a little. Lavendar acro, Red Planet acro, blue mushroom, white pulsing xenia, red monti, orange zoas, and a black urchin.
where at?

dv3

Beluga
M.A.S.C Club Member
mlobato;63114 said:
Here in GJ at WSACs first club meeting. Pretty good for a first meeting. Went well.
good to here they had a good meet

New Red Planet, thanks Eric. New orange zoas and urchin, thanks Brandon. Also, thanks to Dustin for the new pulsing xenia, blue shroom, and lavendar acro.

Hair algae free...Finally.

Punjab;63301 said:
A+ transformation!
Thanks! Ya here is a pic when the hair algae was "trimmed". It was outrageous, I avoided taking pics of it so here is the best one of the hair algae. So if anyone is having hair algae issues, I battled it for 2 years, I will be glad to help you.

Nicely done! I like the amount of diversity you have in your corals and the yellow tang is a nice touch :)

Wow great lighting what do you have on this tank?

MoorishIdol;64899 said:
Wow great lighting what do you have on this tank?
I have a Current USA T5 216W sundial with leds. It has been a great light. I am considering installing 14K bulbs when they are due for change but I have heard the 10K's result in better SPS growth. Can anyone confirm this?

It all depends on the kinds of SPS that you are growing. If you have light hungry SPS or LPS positioned at the top of the tank then use the 10k. I would say a 10k bulb would make it look more white and the 14k would make it look more blue! The 14k would give better growth because it penetrates deeper than the 10k and so would make the tank look similar to a deep reef because at depth the blue spectrum is more prevalent. However the 10k would give the tank a more shallow reef look because the shallow ocean hasn't reflected all the reds and yellows back and the full spectrum is more prevalent.

thanks for the chance to express my passion :)
Benjamin Belding