Mike

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
Hey All,
I met a lot of new people last weekend at Reefstock. Which confirmed my belief that I needed to join MASC. I teach 8th grade science and my reef tank is in my classroom. I previously had a 120 gal tank with softies about 15 years ago and was going to set up another 120 about six months ago when a friend offered me a 225 just to get it out of their house. How could I pass up that kind of freebie? I know that I am making some classic mistakes but I am learning from them as I go. My tank currently consists of a 225 acrylic tank with some scratches I should have buffed out, 3 250 w HQI w/10K bulbs, some current LED supplementation, I am rebuilding a t-5 fixture to add more actinic lighting, an old too small Berlin skimmer rated for 250 gal but in no way adequate, an old 55 and 30 plumbed together acting as sump and fuge, 2 two little fishies 150 GFO reactors one running carbon the other running GFO, return on a sqwd going to split locline on each end of the tank, 4 aqueon impellers for movement on a Hydor wave maker, and two filter socks. So far I have a nice list of fish and corals which will be changing. I have 4 ocellaris clowns, diamond goby, a flame angel, a coral beauty, a scopas tang which gets bullied by a much smaller clown tang that I want to get rid of. I also have some softies, zoas, and SPS. I am looking forward to getting to know you all or many of you.
Mike

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
Here are a few. A lot has changed in my lighting scheme since the first pic with T-5's. The second pic only has 2 of the HQIs up. You get the basic idea. I have a bunch more, but I am still working on my aquatic photography.

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
Looking again at the oldest pic where you can see my whole system. I have removed the bioballs and converted to filter socks. I added a brute for topoff. I am dosing Kalk.

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
If I want to be a paying member how do I go about paying?

ReefCheif

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
Theres alink on the site for donations, make your donations and then PM one fo the board members to let them know and they will badge you and send you a membership card.

Also, Ill buy that clown tang depending on how big he is and how much youd want for him, I gaurantee he wont act up in my tank. Let me know

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
My students are really into it too. My wife has already said she may regret not letting me put it in the family room.

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
Talking to you last week at Reefstock was the deciding factor. Thanks again. Already looking forward to my first meeting next month.

Haulin Oates

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Mike

MuralReef;232438 said:
Talking to you last week at Reefstock was the deciding factor. Thanks again. Already looking forward to my first meeting next month.
Definitely! Glad I could convince you! We'll see you at the next meeting for sure!!

MuralReef;232423 said:
My students are really into it too. My wife has already said she may regret not letting me put it in the family room.
:welcome:

Sounds like you should start shopping for another tank for the living room.