Mixing Clownfish

Ahhshoot

Blenny
M.A.S.C Club Member
I am seeking advice on mixing clownfish. I currently have a 180G with an established Saddleback Clown in it. At the moment I have 2 clownfish in QT, one is mocha clownfish and the other is a Misbar Percula. When I put these 2 clowns in the display will my saddleback be aggressive towards them or will a pecking order be established? I would hate to put these 2 in the display and then have to try to catch my saddleback. I just finished redoing my rock work last week. Any advice is appreciated.

Jeremy

Robbiekrause33

Clown Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
honestly it depends on the clown i've had 4 clowns in a 72 and 6 in a 72 at one point in time the 6 all chilled and swam together then backed down to the two pairs. i've never had a saddle back so i'd try to get some cheap clowns and see if he pesters them before putting in more pricey clowns

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Is your saddleback mean to the other fish? I had one once and that thing was pound for pound, or gram for gram, one of the meanest fish that I ever had.

I would have a plan in case it does not work out. It is good that you have a QT that you can fall back to.

daverf

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Just need to be ready to catch and pull someone. Clowns are very aggressive in general, moreso to conspecifics, and will fight to death when nonmated members of the same species are vying for the same territory. You're mixing conspecifics but in a big tank. You'll have a good idea within days if not hours whether it has a high chance of working, but probably won't be able to improve chances if it clearly doesn't work in that initial timeframe. Just be ready to pull and re home if need be.

ReefCheif

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
I have multiple clowns in may 180. IMO my success is based on the fact the clowns are pairs. I actually have 3 that host the same anemone and get along fine. Ive noticed single clowns seemed to get picked on more by the others but the ones who have paired up or have mates do fine, expecially if they have an anemone to host

Ahhshoot

Blenny
M.A.S.C Club Member
Re: Mixing Clownfish

Thank you all for your advice. It seems as though its all trial and error if not a mated pair. With all my research I have done this weekend I have not come up with a definitive answer on this. My Saddleback is the oldest fish I have in my tank. I've had her for over a year now and she has survived 2 Ick outbreaks in my old 75 gallon. I have never seen her be aggressive towards any other fish I have put in. I just got rid of a Sailfin Tang that occasionally bullied the Saddleback. If anyone is interested, I will post what happens later this week when I insert the two new Clowns. Can my Mocha and the Percula become a mated pair? In the QT they are buddies and never leave each others side.

Jeremy

Ahhshoot

Blenny
M.A.S.C Club Member
Re: Mixing Clownfish

I just wanted to inform everyone that I put the two new clowns in this evening and everything went perfect! The saddleback almost seems like she's been waiting for some buddies to be put in the display. All 3 are happy and getting along great!

Jeremy

xxHLTxx

Detritus
M.A.S.C Club Member
do you have a breeding net or breeding box? Honestly i have 2 clowns in my 75... peaceful as all can be, i picked up a black clownfish and i didn't want to have to pull my 2 peaceful ones out if the black picked on them or vice versa... i got a breeder net box thing from petco, like 5 bucks...

put the clown in that IN the tank... and then i fed the black clownfish a little bit... all other fish came up to the box and i could see if any aggression would be established. turns out my black one almost tore through the net trying to attack my pair as they just swam next to the breeder net and couldn't care less about the black clown.

My advice... get a net or cut open a 2L clear bottle... stick him in there and magnet it to the tank and stick the open side on the side of the tank so the clowns can't get out... see if your saddle attacks them in there or not. if they do you have your answer... if they don't and their all chill... u might go ahead and try it. but RobbieKrause99 is right... it all depends on the personality of the clowns you have acquired.