More tank trouble

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
So the storm last night seems to have blown up at least one of my pc4's on my reef keeper. Should I just replace that or upgrade the system? All I really controll is my heaters, lights, and calcium reactor. Thinking of upgrading to the reef keeper elite or an apex. I am pretty good at the reef keeper but hear great stuff about the apex. Not sure I'd ever really use it to it's potential. My only worry with replacing the pc'4 is that I'll have other issues with the system that unfold and I'll be wasting time and money monkeying around. Not sure what all may have been damaged. Go for it? What system to order? I gotta do this today!

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
There's an ad on Craigslist for reef keeper parts. Might start there.
I've liked the reefkeeper system, if it's something you're comfortable with then I'd say stay with it, especially if you aren't going to use more complicated features on the apex. Hobby is already expensive enough...

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
On the bright side, I have confirmed that one pc4 is fully functional as well as the head unit. Hopefully the sl1 is fine too.

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
TheRealChrisBrown;352806 said:
Are you thinking a power surge or something?
My surge protector has a red light on it indicating a surge. One pc4 has a red light in the indicator as well. I'd I unlink the pc4 from the rest of the system everything seems ok. Just not that pic.

Yea, I've never heard thunder and lightning that close. It must have hit CLOSE to our house. Rattled my bones!

sethsolomon

Hammerhead Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
first step I would take is get your controller on a surge protector. I definitely recommend an apex they are awesome but expensive. $70 for a new pb4 or $800 for an apex, not sure what to make on this call.

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
I had a decent surge protector, it's fried! I definitely will be getting a better one. Since only one pc4 is screwed, i'll just be ordering one today, maybe a new ph probe for good measure. The apex sure is tempting though. I have had the reef keeper since they came out in like 2009. It rep[laces my reef keeper 1. lol I am dating myself.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Sorry to hear that man. Id say if you happy with the reefkeeper then just replace that, although apex is pretty awesome so worth a thought if your thinking of upgrading.
My house got hit with lightening a while back and even though all my electronics are all on surge protectors like the one Seth posted. It still blew right through them and fried, our TV, comp power supplies and everything else that wasn't on the surge protectors. From a normal surge those protectors work great I'm sure, but even the best surge protector can fail when put up against lightening.

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
My neighbor was in his garage watching the storm. He said that the lightning hit the huge maple tree in the front yard. Smoke and all!

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
That will do it.

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
I may have a reef keeper light with one pc4 and an sl1 with ph probe for sale. Hit me up for a very reasonable price for a great basic controller.

ReeferMatt

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Dr.HarlemTutu;352859 said:
I may have a reef keeper light with one pc4 and an sl1 with ph probe for sale. Hit me up for a very reasonable price for a great basic controller.
so pulling the trigger?

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
And decide if I want the junior with an extra eb8 and connection with the ph addition or a full apex with an extra eb4 and connection. I need part of the controller to be about 15 feet away. I really like the computer access for programming! I am not sure if I'd ever need the expansion capabilities but don't want to have my hands tied later.