My 40b build with 20gal seahorse tank.

SkyShark

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Wow, that’s awesome! The tank looks great. I’ve wanted a similar setup for years, but was always nervous about keeping up with food for them. How much effort has live food been so far? And what are the babies eating? They are so small! (Also, you may be the first to get a “buy 4, get 13 free deal”)

kchristensen8064

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Wow, that’s awesome! The tank looks great. I’ve wanted a similar setup for years, but was always nervous about keeping up with food for them. How much effort has live food been so far? And what are the babies eating? They are so small! (Also, you may be the first to get a “buy 4, get 13 free deal”)
So far it hasn't been bad I got 2 hatch n feeds and every morning I dump brine eggs in the one on the right and every evening I dump brine eggs in the one on the left. So I have a almost continuous flow of baby brine. The babies are eating the baby brine as well. One oversight I had was that the overflow on the tank has holes that are too big so I am going to have to modify that. We keep having to fish baby seahorses out of the overflow. I would say it was a good deal! It's been really cool not just having these little guys but watching the babies come the other morning was awesome!

SkyShark

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
That doesn’t sound so bad feeding wise. Do you have to feed the brine shrimp to improve the nutritional content or are they still considered baby brine when you feed?

kchristensen8064

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
That doesn’t sound so bad feeding wise. Do you have to feed the brine shrimp to improve the nutritional content or are they still considered baby brine when you feed?
They are freshly hatched when they go into the water column to become food. If I hatched in a separate tank I would probably add something to increase nutritional value since I would then have brine at different stages of their life cycle .

kchristensen8064

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
So a little update. I battled a bad GHA problem that wiped out some of my corals and took over the seahorse tank, ultimately claiming the seahorses too. I now have got the upper hand and everything is balancing back out. I've decided to make the seahorse tank into an anemone tank with a pair of black and white clowns. I'll post updated pictures when I get home.