My experience with Marine Velvet

Irishman

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
A little over a week ago I bought three fish, Achilles Tang, and Two flame wrasses male and female. The tang went in first at night after all the lights went off, my purple tang knew it was there and attacked it immediately so I put him in the sump until I could figure out what to do. The next day I was lent an acclimation box from a LFS, we were there the day before and saw they had some flame wrasses, the wife always wanted these wrasses so we pulled the trigger on them the next day. We got home acclimated the wrasses, put the tang in the acclimation box and put them in the tank. I know first mistake was not QTing the fish, I haven't had luck with QT in the past and the only thing that survives are clown fish and chromis so I took the chance and went for it. I also figured that if they did have ich they would battle through it and hopefully build up some immune to it, since I wasn't going to add any other fish to the DT I just went for it.

The fish looked pretty good, the Achilles was still in the acclimation box and was eating very well. I did notice that the male wrasses was flashing on the rock and sand, my initial though was yup should have done QT but I was prepared to accept the consequence and hoping the fish could fight through it. The next day I then noticed the Achilles covered in ich, so after work I pulled 3/4 of the rock out of my tank and caught the fish within an hour not entirely bad considering the fish I had. I had two separate QT's going at the same time one 55 long and one 40 breeder. In the 55 I had my Achilles, the pair of flame wrasses, a flame angel and two clowns that were begining to pair. In the 40 I have my purple tang, potters angel, pair of purple fire fish, my chromis and a diamond goby, which jumped through the egg crate cover the next morning. I didn't start the copper treatment because I was going out of town the next day for a week. The job I was on only lasted 4 days but I would end up having to go back since the other half of the job wasn't ready and was told to come back in 3-5 days, I am still waiting on that call :frusty:.

A couple of days in the QT the fish looked like they were doing pretty good and eating. That night as I went to feed the fish I noticed the Achilles acting strange and had a lot white spots on his body and was expelling mucus from his body. With my mind going scatter brain I didn't think about testing the water they were in and the 55 had a fairly high ammonia count in it and thought that's why he's acting strange and figured the white spots were ich. So I did a five gallon water change since it was all I had of ready water and threw some cycled rock I have in bucket in both tanks and put some prime in the 40 since I didn't have any water for a change. My mixed water is only 30 gallons and I have another 30 gallons for RO but they got drained from the QT tanks. The next morning I went down and saw that the Achllies didn't make it so I pulled him out and went to work. After work I went down stairs and saw that the other fish were breathing heavily the wrasses were the worst, so I called a fellow reefer and explained my situation and they gave me some solid advice. With my barrels full I started mixing some new salt in the mixing barrel, put 5 gallons of it in a bucket with an air stone, heaters, and a power head, I made sure the salinity and temp were near the same as the QT tank. I put the male wrasse in since he was breathing really heavy followed by the clowns then the flame angel, by the time I got to the female wrasse it was to late.

I started draining all of the water in the 55 and threw the rest of what was mixed back in the 55, then transferred the RO water into the mixing barrel and began to mix that and wait until it got dissolved so I could throw that in the 55. I was keeping watch over the male wrasses and it looked like he may be turning around and then I saw him gasping for air and not thinking and being scattered brain on what's going on I didn't do anything. After cleaning up my mess and checking the mixing barrel I looked back down in the bucket it with him sideways so I pulled him up and saw he wasn't breathing. Shortly after I noticed my flame angel gasping for air at the surface. I knew it was going to be a goner soon and couldn't put them back in the QT since the temp wasn't the same, about 10 degrees off. When the temp was about a degree off I started putting the fish back in and when I pulled the flame up he as well stopped breathing. I threw the clowns in and they looked like they weren't going to make it either since they were breathing heavily and swimming weird, so I called it a night. The next morning before I went off to work I checked on the clowns and they were swimming just fine, during the middle of the day I asked if the clowns were eating and she said yes and asked how they look and she said okay. When I got home from work I went down to check on the clowns, one of them was dead under the rock and the remaining one was breathing heavily and was showing the symptoms as the Achilles. I knew it was to far gone for me to do anything and eventually lost it as well. So everything in the 55 QT got wiped out without me knowing what the true cause of it was, wife thinks it was her not topping off with RO since the salinity got to 1.028 and I was thinking it was the ammonia with ich stress.

The next day my friend bought a 75 gallon complete set up so I basically spent the whole day helping him with that. Long story short only two fish made the tear down and the only survivors are currently being house in a 20 gallon in my basement while he waits for deals to go through on a reef ready tank, the one he bought was a HOB overflow kit which I've heard horror stories about. That night we went to a LFS and started talking about what's going in my tank and how I think it could be ich and another employee there started talking about how he had marine velvet and how it nearly wiped out his tank.

The next morning I went to check on the 40 and now notice my purple tang is showing the same symptoms as the Achilles. So I immediately drained the tank of 30 gallons (to help with ammonia build up), pulled the cycled rock, filled the tank and dosed the tank with copper. As this was going on my wife and I started researching marine velvet and came to the conclusion that this is what I am currently experiencing. I haven't been able to dose to the therapeutic levels of copper since I just started yesterday. The tang is still barely alive covered in the gold dust appearance and the other fish don't seem to stressed as of yet and are still eating.

So far with this experience I've decided no more wishing for the best and QTing all my fish, since I'll have to get some replacements for the ones I lost. And also changed my RO barrel to a mixing barrel since I wasted so much time waiting for water to mix and heat.

I have a couple of questions during this experience I am currently going through.

1. I do have a mandarin goby in the DT still. I've read that since they have a really thick slime coat it'll be really hard for parasites to attach to them as long as they're healthy. What's everyone's opinion on this? I know that putting them in copper would pretty much kill them and that if you do put them in QT you have to have A LOT of pods for them to eat, which I currently don't have especially for 72 days for the DT to go fallow.

2. What might be the cause for the flame angel to just die like that in the bucket? Temp and salinity were on point and as far as I could see I didn't see an outbreak on him yet although I know velvet starts in the gills first and suffocates the fish. Can I account his death to velvet?

3. With the rock I had in the QT's I am currently letting them dry out now. Would drying them out completely make them safe again to use or do I have to dip them? If so dip them with what?

I'm sure I'll come up with more questions but these are the only ones I have on the top of my head. Insight on this situation would be greatly appreciated.

Balz3352

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Im not 100% convinced it was velvet. Sounds like it took days for fish to die usually velvet takes hours to take victims. I honestly think you had normal ich, but that doesn't necessarily matter. Treatment is the same.

1. That goby HAS to get out of the dt to be sure (at least 99.9% sure) that the ich is gone. I would do ttm on him and hope for the best. I cant think of what frozen food Mandarins national forums have had success with but ill get back to you on that.

2. I bet flame had ammonia poisoning.

3. Id put the rock back into the dt and let it fallow for at least 76 days. Unless it was in the tank with copper then toss it.

Sucks loosing fish but as you have learned better to lose one that you just bought then go through possibily losing all the rest. :/

Irishman

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Balz3352;671102 said:
Im not 100% convinced it was velvet. Sounds like it took days for fish to die usually velvet takes hours to take victims. I honestly think you had normal ich
The reason why I think it's velvet is because of how the fish looked and died with their skin looking like it got ripped off and expelling a heavily mucous. I've read on other forums that with it can take 12hrs- 4days for the adult forms to show up and then when that happens the fish gets wiped out. Also that you can usually count the ich on the fish, the adult form is much bigger and more oval than velvet. Where velvet is really small and cover the entire body to where you cant really count them at all.

My assumption is from a best guess since I've dealt with ich before on my 60 with every fish living after showing signs of it and having the adult form on them.

Just a question about ammonia poising. Wouldn't it subside once out of the spiked water? He didn't look to stressed when he was in the QT with it. Only when he went into the bucket.

Not trying to argue anything just trying to get a better understanding.

Balz3352

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Well could be velvet but again doesn't matter treatment is the same. Probably is since the size. (probably worse that it is velvet, sorry)

No. If the fish truly had ammonia poisoning (my best guess) it essentially looks okay for a bit then "randomly" dies. Most often happens after transport or shipping. Essentially the fish is living and trying to export ammonia from its blood stream via its liver and eventually it cannot cope with consistent low ph in blood and all systems shut down. Same thing can happen to people. (very basic account of ammonia poisoning) basically fish can cope to a point and look okay but eventually body says im done then kff to fishy heaven.

Irishman

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Balz3352;n671106 said:
Well could be velvet but again doesn't matter treatment is the same.
So on another thread I read on Reef2Reef it stated that TTM won't help with velvet and only chemicals will kill it.

That makes sense about the ammonia poisoning.

So with the rock that I had running in my QT's was just pulled from a bin that I had rock cycling in. I don't plan on using it in my DT as of yet, maybe in my 60 when I rebuild it.

So from my understanding that with ick and the TTM is that when you start to dry out the previous tank and equipment that when it's completely dry the ick dies off in a dry environment. Since velvet is similar to ick will it also die off in a dry environment? So lets say if I completely dry out the rock I used in the QT's and equipment will they be safe to use again or would I have dormant velvet in it?

Irishman

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
The mandarin no. But the purple has lost all color and just swimming not coherent and running into the glass. The other fish just hid except for chromis and he's hard to tell now. I've been keeping the light off to help the tang.

Fitz19d

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
I agree on velvet. Not all of them may come down with it at same time. Sounds similiar to what I ended up with. (Or think I may have had both)

Problem is velvet like ick can linger in a tank a while maybe not as long as ick. Basically you need to restart the tank or run it fishless for 2 months to be fairly certain you are ick (and velvet) free.

Even if it doesnt get to the mandarin enough to show signs, it maybe hosting just a few tromants to keep the disease going.

As far as QT. Your problems in the past sound kinda like ammonia poisoning given how it kept coming back on the tanks this time around. Those were fairly small tanks to have a fair amount of stressed fish in. Ammonia can sneak up fast and you need to be ready to do like daily 50%+ water changes depending on how packed a QT is. (This is why doing say one fish at a time much easier than trying to QT your whole pack even if you had limitless water) Those changes ideally need to happen before you notice problems on the fish. An ammo alert badge can help but just plan on proactively doing changes.

THrowing cycled rock in, I dont know how quick of a help that would be to actually convert ammonia thru the cycle... I mean afterall it's why even putting cycled rock in a tank you still usually wait a while to call it ready. The problem with moving the rock as well as the fish is they are probably carrying some stages of the infection as well. In the end I feel like only thing that saved some of my fish was moving back to the 300g where the density of parasites was less and they could fight it off. Or dumb luck.

Not trying to be preachy, I went thru the same thing and of my 3 tanks trying to hospital them, 1 of them a couple losses were probably ammonia more than the disease. Was trying to change like 100g a night and would be gone too long to get ahead of the changes.
Ideally you have a quarantine with seeded sponge or other material thats been ghost fed. Then you can safely easily hold fish for observation. Treat as neccesarily, as I think proactively doing things like copper which can be difficult to dose right can easily kill fish especially if fresh shipped in/stressed. Some things like CP work great but seem to hit tangs hard and supposedly wrasses. I almost lost my purple to it in QT post velvet.

For smallish fish, 5g bucket tank transfer method was nerve wracking doing it first time but worked great fwiw. Basically I'd feed right before transfering buckets. Generally that way no food and minimal waste causing ammo buildup. Even doing daily bucket changes should be easy to do as long as you match temp/salinity, hardest part is just having multiple heaters and airstone or pump so you can have time to get the old stuff bleach rinsed and 100% dried out. (and dried out for 12 to 24 hours at least to make sure ick eggs or whatever die)

Mandarins etc I prefer to buy "used" and established, because yes feeding them is a nightmare in QT unless you get a special QT that's basically a refugium and seeded for quite a while with pods could work. (Just minimal medication/TTM options but with a mandarin chances are you just need that 1month+ observation period.

Fitz19d

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
CHeck info for how old it is on doing like FW dip. I wasnt sure if velvet was one it works on. Essentially it can shock and kill parasites on the surface but things deep in the fish it wont do much too, and is somewhat stressful to the fish.

I did want to do hypo though at one point, forget what turned me off. THink it was examples of ick surviving it, some fish not tolerating. (and the very long raising of salinity after)