My latest DIY LED build

lpsouth1978@msn.com

Users with zero posts needing moderation to determine if they are spam bots
I have been working on a new LED build for my solana. It is WAY overkill, but I am looking at getting a larger tank and wanted to be able to use this over it when I get it rather than building another light. Here are the specs:
Custom built 18x18 heatsink

24 - 20k 3w LED's
24 - RB 3w LED's
12 - 10k 3w LED's
6 - standard blue 3w LED's
3 - UV 3w LED's
3 - Red 3w LED's
4 - RB moonlight 3w LED's
12 - 700mA dimmable buckpucks
1 - 350mA dimmable buckpucks
60 degree optics

All of the LED's amd optics were purchased from Satisled and my total cost for this fixture had been right about $500.

Yes, that is 72 LED's over a 34 gallon tank. As I said, it is WAY overkill, but should work nicely over a larger tank as well (looking at a 92 corner tank).

I am hoping that by putting so many different colors I can get closer to a full spectrum.
I was unable to find a heatsink that was large enough to work over the tank, at least at a decent price, so I decided to build my own. It is sort of an unorthodox idea but it seems to be working. I got a 1/4 inch aluminum plate and attached a bunch of 1/4 inch "C" channel to it. these are bolted to the plate and have thermal paste between them and the aluminum plate. Here are some pics to give you an idea what I did.

I am still working on all of the wiring, but so far I have all of the 20k, RB, and half of the 10k LED's wired. I set it up so that the 20K, RB, 10k, Satndard Blue, and RB moonlights will each be dimmable seperate from each other. The red and UV will be dimmed together since they are on the same buckpuck. This should give me unlimited control over the color mix and intensity of the light. Here are a few more pics of what I have so far.

Here is a drawing showing the layout of the LED's that I decided on. The section at one end with no LED's it the back of the fixture.

KhensuRa

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Dang!!!! That is going to be one sick DIY unit. How are you going to hang the unit once you are done? Are you worried about the red led at all (algae)? And why did you only opt for 3 UV's? Was that dimmer box you showed set up to dim all the leds or just a few? And what is your total wattage? Last question... Fans?

Can't wait to see the rest.

dv3

Beluga
M.A.S.C Club Member
nice! ...not really alot considering didnt you have a 400w over it b4? ...should be comparable to that

lpsouth1978@msn.com

KhensuRa;104973 said:
Dang!!!! That is going to be one sick DIY unit. How are you going to hang the unit once you are done? Are you worried about the red led at all (algae)? And why did you only opt for 3 UV's? Was that dimmer box you showed set up to dim all the leds or just a few? And what is your total wattage? Last question... Fans?

Can't wait to see the rest.
I am still working on hanging it. I think that I am going to attach some eyebolts to the heatsink and hang it from the existing hanging arm.
I am not really worried about algae growth due to the red LED's, I am just trying to get as full a spectrum as possible.
I only used 3 UV because I was not sure how many would be needed. I have read that you need to be careful when using UV LED's because it is very easy to overdo it and harm your corals.
The dimmer box that I showed you is from a previous build. I am doing one for this build as well, but ut will be much bigger than the last one. It will have 6 dimmer knobs, 1 each for the 20k, 10k, RB, Standard Blue, and moon lights, and one for the UV and red combined.
It is a total of 216 watts, not counting the moonlights. With the moonlights it is 232 watts.
I am hoping that I will not need any fans. I am currently running 60 of the LED's at full blast, after a little while I will check the temp of the heatsink with a laser thermometer. If it goes more than a few degrees over 100 I will figure out how to attach a fan or two.

lpsouth1978@msn.com

dv3;104978 said:
nice! ...not really alot considering didnt you have a 400w over it b4? ...should be comparable to that
I did have a 400w, but it was dimmed to 260w. MOst people say that this is enough LED's for a 90 gallon tank. I have always been one to overdo things.

dv3

Beluga
M.A.S.C Club Member
ya its defiantly alot of light i was bleaching stuff with a 120 watt (1watt leds) on my solana ..i was just thinking it was about the same as 400w halide

Zooid

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Plan on fans.
I have 30 (3W) LED's on a 10"x12" Heatsink from heatsinkusa
and if I turn them all up to full power the heatsink gets pretty warm.

projectx

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
wow thats going to be nice once you get it all wired up. I am contemplating going to LED, but dont know if DIY is the way to go or a housing, with DIY you can run the 3w LEDs at 3w lol

Is Satisled a LED manufacturer or just the seller? Do you know who actually manufactures the LEDs? Did you do any comparison with Bridgelux LEDs? Also where did you get your buckpucks from?

lpsouth1978@msn.com

ZenMan;105180 said:
Is Satisled a LED manufacturer or just the seller? Do you know who actually manufactures the LEDs? Did you do any comparison with Bridgelux LEDs? Also where did you get your buckpucks from?
According to thier website SatisLED is the manufacturer. I have not done any comparison to Bridgelux though I can tell you that they do not appear as bright crees. I still have to wire the standard blue, UV and red, but at full blast it seems about as bright as the 400w MH. I expected it to be brighter and was planning on not running it at full power, though I am sure that the PAR is higher than the MH. Also, I like the color of the RB better than the crees, it is a deeper blue, almost a little purple.

The only place I have found that you can get the buckpucks is from Ledsupply.com.

KhensuRa

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Update?

KhensuRa

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
where did you find the C channel?

lpsouth1978@msn.com

I got my C channel at a scrap metal yard. The stuff I got is only 1/4 inch though and would be too small for your needs. Home depot or lowes should have 3/4 or 1 inch c channel for just a few dollars. You will need 3/4 at a minimum to fit the led on it. I would go with 1 inch personally.

KhensuRa

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I just got back from home depot and they did not have any. Will hit up Lowes and Ace later today or tomorrow.

lpsouth1978@msn.com

dv3;106132 said:
i have heard people use heatsinkusa for heatsinks
dv3, I have used the heatsinkusa heatsinks and they work well, but I think KhensuRa is just looking to do a small supplimental build. I have a few extra LED's that I am selling to him and he just needs something small to attach to his current fixture. I'm sure he will correct me if I am wrong.

As for my fixture, IT IS DONE. I finished wiring the last of the LED's tonight and got it hung back above the tank. I am really happy with the way it turned out. I like the color that the red LED's give the tank, especially when it is actinic only. It gives the tank a purple hue. Hopefully having a larger spectrum range will improve growth and color in the tank. I will let you all know how that goes.

I am also going to need fans. The heatsink gets pretty hot when all of the LED's are running. It is not hot enough to burn me, but gets uncomfortable if I leave my hand on it for a minute. I have an AZOO 4 fan unit that I will probably use. It just sits on the back of the tank. I will have to aim it at the heatsink, but it should do the job. Here is a picture of the setup just after I finished it. It is not pretty at this point, but it works. I will try to get some pictures of it over the tank later.

lpsouth1978@msn.com

projectx;106184 said:
Did you get the buckpucks from the same place as the LEDs?
looks like a pretty sweet build
No, I got the buckpucks from LEDSupply.com. As far as I know this is the only place to get buckpucks. The drivers that SatisLED sells are not worth buying. I would stay with the buckpucks for a small build, or meanwell drivers for a larger build.

lpsouth1978@msn.com

Here are some comparison pics. The first is with the 250 watt MH that I borrowed from the LFS. The second is the new LED build with just the 20k, 10k, and RB LED's. The third is with all of the LED's - 20k, 10k, RB, standard blue, UV, and red.

KhensuRa

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
What a huge difference in color. Really like the look of the last picture.