My latest DIY LED build

Cake_Boss

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
Maybe it's my phone, but I can't really tell the difference between the second and third. The third looks more red, maybe even purple. What is the benefit of having the UV bulbs?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

KhensuRa

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
i know it has only been a few days but I am curious if you have noticed any difference in your corals?

Been doing a little reading on UV leds and there really isn't a ton of info, some say bad some say good. What a few people have said, that, in the ocean UV-A and UV-B light can be very bad for corals, but many corals like ones in shallow reefs change their color to protect against the harmful rays. Others say that there is little to no UV light emitted by blue and white LED's and that adding a little UV light actually helps the coral in general and adds color to the coral over a long period of time.

Again I know you just started using these new lights and maybe I should start a new thread if their is a lot of interest on this topic.

lpsouth1978@msn.com

Users with zero posts needing moderation to determine if they are spam bots
KhensuRa;106846 said:
i know it has only been a few days but I am curious if you have noticed any difference in your corals?

Been doing a little reading on UV leds and there really isn't a ton of info, some say bad some say good. What a few people have said, that, in the ocean UV-A and UV-B light can be very bad for corals, but many corals like ones in shallow reefs change their color to protect against the harmful rays. Others say that there is little to no UV light emitted by blue and white LED's and that adding a little UV light actually helps the coral in general and adds color to the coral over a long period of time.

Again I know you just started using these new lights and maybe I should start a new thread if their is a lot of interest on this topic.
I have actually seen most of the SPS color up. The blue corals are getting more blue. I have not really noticed a difference in othe corals. I guess the main thing is that nothing seems to have been adversely affected.

dv3

Beluga
M.A.S.C Club Member

that0neguy1126

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
KhensuRa;106846 said:
Others say that there is little to no UV light emitted by blue and white LED's
There is actually 0 UV light emitted by LED's. unless you buy special UV ones. That is one of the benefits of LED lights is they only emit visible light.
[attachment=60309:name]

lpsouth1978@msn.com

Users with zero posts needing moderation to determine if they are spam bots
Sorry, Ive been out of town with no internet access. I love the build and have been VERY happy with it. I think that this is easily equivelant to a 400 watt halide. I would say it is actually more light than the 400, though I have no way to test that.

thatOneguy is correct, there is no UV light put out by most LED's, however I did purchase 3 UV LED's for this build and would really not recommend them. They have not done anything for my tank and I actually turned them off because my pink birdsnest, which is sitting directly below one close to the water surface, was starting to brown and die off. Once I turned off the UV's it colored right back up and is happy as ever.

that0neguy1126

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
Nice, I always see mixed info on the UV LED's.

There are some theory's that some of the corals that are close to the shoreline develop a UV protection like sunblock. I have never seen any proof that UV is needed or beneficial.