My Peacock Mantis

JuanGutz

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
So I picked this guy up yesterday from Great White Aquatics, he is about 3-4 inchs and right now is a little dazzled. He hasn't hidden yet and seems to be out of it but he did eat a peppermint shrimp and when I took pictures would flare up and look like he was gonna strike. Hoping he warms up to his new tank here soon but we will see how he does here's some pictures just Iphone5 pics so nothing special.

View attachment 12018

Forgot to turn off the flash he didn't like it so much :/

View attachment 12026

He has found his home, there used to be some shrimp in there so they are eaten or hiding somewhere else haha.

Here is after day one of his new home should have taken before pics but I didn't so I will from now on!

Last edited by a moderator:

JuanGutz

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
kmellon;228891 said:
Nice, is that a mantis only tank or will you introduce fish or corals?
I have a yellow assessor in the tank with him plus some very LARGE snails and hermit crabs. Hopefully he won't be able to kill them.

JuanGutz

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
WatercolorsGuy;228898 said:
That little guy is super cool!
They have another one and I'm really tempted to go pick him up as well but think ill wait I want to get a 1-2 inch one. That can go in a pico tank.

Re: My Peacock Mantis

JuanGutz;228899 said:
They have another one and I'm really tempted to go pick him up as well but think ill wait I want to get a 1-2 inch one. That can go in a pico tank.
That'd be sweet.

What are you planning on feeding it?

JuanGutz

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
TexSun;228903 said:
That'd be sweet.

What are you planning on feeding it?
Peppermint shrimp, misc. snails, hermits and live food and then frozen shrimp fish scallops idk ill have to work out a meal plan for him but ill try to buy as much live as possible.

Fitz19d

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
The 12g would be good for when you get a 1-2 inch and move the peacock into something more 25-35g ish.

Busy at work, but from the first couple pics thought I might see shell rot. (Or reflection) If not reflection I'd definately keep lighting to a minimum and water paramaters best as possible till that clears up in a few molts.

No reason to pay that for peppermints, cheap snails you might naturally have, hermits. Then just the frozen shrimp/scallops from walmart or wherever. Should also pretty readily take to large flake food or pellets. I've actually started feeding mine by hand. Too small for him probably but mine also will curl upside down underneath the turkey baster to take big handfulls of mysis. Yours might like a baster with a cube of krill in it if you have it laying around. Other than some snails/hermits to keep his arms in order, really easiest is the cheap big meaty people seafood rather than fancy stuff.

Ghosty

Butterfly Fish
Cool! There's some awesome vids on Youtube of people feeding their Mantis.

JNG

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
It will definitely eat up your snails and crabs. I got one for my daughter years ago and you could hear it hitting the snail shell all the way from the street. I would just put in some astria snails in as needed. I gave it some goldfish once, but that made a mess. If you want to give shrimp, go with some ghost ones. They are much cheaper to feed. Very cool tank inhabitant :)

Ghosty

Butterfly Fish
Blazinjack;229146 said:
I want one so bad, but wifey says no...:(
Why not?

Fitz19d

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
He eat those 2 hermits I gave you? Was wondering if they, at least the bigger one, were big enough to be left alone.

I've had prior to mantis many of some of my assorted snails go missing. (Tiny dwarf ceriths etc go missing.) Since I got him, I swear I see only like 2-3 nassarius and one hermit. Rest have all been confumed/fell in angry corals/other wise disapeared god knows where.