Name this algea

09bumblebee

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Well my 30 has become infested with this algea. Levels couldn't be better. Looks like hair algea. How do I get rid of this and what is it?

09bumblebee

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I guess I'll elevate my magnesium. Should I use kent tech m or just my regular magnesium from brightwell?

09bumblebee

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I'm not sure that's what it is. Doesn't look like it in google images.

djkms

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
It looks like common hair algae.

Except here:

It appears to me that it has a stalk with feathers coming from the stalk, a lot like a fern. This is typical of bryopsis If it doesnt look like a fern then its probably not bryopsis. There are however, over 30 variants of bryopsis.

I would recommend Tech-M. Its not magnesium itself that kills the bryopsis its a impurity in the Tech-M. Some say the impurity is in other forms of magnesium but Tech-M is a sure bet for it.

Good luck :)

09bumblebee

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
My tank is mostly sps. High mag levels can affect anemone's correct? Will it be ok? And my cal will raise to right?

Dbarnes

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Yea definitely bryopsis, high mag will ussualy stop growth but in my experience it will not eliminate it. I had the same issue and the only way i illiminated it was a sea hare, however be careful because they can be toxic to the system if they die. However i put two in my 150 when it was over grown with it and it only took two weeks to clear up, sense then i have never had an issue.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

ShelbyJK500

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Had to laugh, I'm farming that stuff in my FOWLR. ;) My nitrates were off the charts so I'm getting them down to the right levels and if that doesn't work I might consider TechM. I've had 4 sea hares and none have lived over a week....and it AIN'T for the lack of food!! :)

On the flip side, I've had phenomenal success with urchins blazing through hair algae and cyano. Unfortunately my big displays are acrylic so urchins are a no go. :( If you have a glass tank(s) try an urchin, the best one's I've had were long spine. I am trying a tuxedo in my acrylic tank as I researched they won't scratch the tank...doesn't seem to be doing much unfortunately. :(

09bumblebee

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Well it's not briopsis. Had mag at 1500 since Friday and no change at all. If anything it's growing.

Dbarnes

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Gotta be above 1700, takes lots of mag. In my 150 it took six brs gallons. Like my posts says though i had no luck with the mag killing it just stunting its growth

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

djkms

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
09bumblebee;180911 said:
Well it's not briopsis. Had mag at 1500 since Friday and no change at all. If anything it's growing.
Did you read the thread I linked to you earlier? You only started on Friday, Tech-M takes weeks if not a month or 2 to take effect. Did you useTech-M? You need to raise it at least 3-400 points. What was it before you reached 1500?

I know its a long thread but I highly suggest reading it so you know what your up against.

09bumblebee

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Raised it from 1350. Yes using tech m. Most threads I read they say they saw results in a few days. I'll keep it at 1500 see what happens. Will an urchin help? Lawn mower blenny? Can't go above 1500 I have an expensive nem in there.

ailachami

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
I was dosing tech-m. took too long so before I went on vacation, I did a 20% water change and dump a 3/4 full bottle in. came back from vacation and everything is still doing ok. I have a nem in there too. haven't test water yet but I'll do it tonite. I have a 28g nano.

jonthefb

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I would focus on water chemistry and identify what type of dissolved organics in the system could be acting as a fertilizer to this algae. What are nitrite, nitrate, phosphate, and silicate levels? Skimmer? Water changes? Rodi water for top off? How old are the filters? What forms of filtration are you employing? Dosing tech m or other algaecides will treat the symptom, but you need to focus on the cause of the problem.

Cheers!
Jon

09bumblebee

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
30 nuvo drilled has sumo underneath. Swc 120 skimmer.
Salinity 1.026
Nitrates 0
Nitrites 0
Phos .04
Live rock was in a tub for 6 months or longer with heater.
Temp 78
Calcium 420
Alk 8.6
mag 1500
Tank has been up for 2 months or so. Water changes 10% every Sunday. Ro comes from my work I work on medical ro's for a living and trust me it's good water.
Been dosing red sea po4x for a month also dose red sea reef energy a and b every 2 days.

jonthefb

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
how well is your skimmer working? Are you emptying the collection cup every couple of days? Are you running any type of Phosphate or Silicate sponge such as Aluminum Oxide or GFO? Is the algae showing up in isolated spots or covering everything?

09bumblebee

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Skimmer is awesome I clean it on water change day. No gfo that's what the po4x is for. I don't do anything different than I do with my 90 and it's amazing and has been going for 2 years. No sponge. The nuvo comes with media baskets in the back, carbon, phos, and a mechanical. No other filtration except carbon reactor. It's growing everywhere. Tunze 6055 controlled from reef keeper. Lots of flow.

09bumblebee

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Do you think my moon cycle is helping the growth?

ShelbyJK500

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Subbing to tag a long. I've been using NoPx for 3-4 weeks now. FINALLY got my nitrates down to 10 or less now. I'm overrun with algae and realized with my nitrates probably between 150-200 before I started dosing NoPx, I probably killed the two previous sea hares I put in. That was my fault for not researching and realizing they are sensitive to high nitrates. I just got two more since my level was under 20 earlier this week. They don't seem to be making a dent, yet.

I highly doubt your moon cycle is adding to the problem unless you are running some serious moonlight! ;) I would definitely vote for urchins if you have a glass tank. I've had phenomenal success with them cleaning up every nuisance algae I've seen along with cyano...but can't have them in my acrylic displays. :( Good luck and I hope to see some good news on here soon!! :)

ReeferMatt

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I'm tagging along as I have the same looking algae in my tank, mine does not look like fern leaves in any way, but grows only in clumps on a macro algae that I was finally winning the war with (and on the shells of snails). I will try buying some tech M just in case. Please keep me updated on what works for you. Tested again today 0 phosphate, 0 Nitrate, 0 nitrite.... I can only assume it is getting it's nutrients from the macro.
.[attachment=62109:name]