Name this algea

Zooid

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Holy crap....Jon, I haven't seen you in a while. Hope everything is well.

Back on topic. Good luck with the bryopsis. The only way I could get a handle on it was to tear apart the tank
and scrub every freaking rock.

09bumblebee

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Ok here's an update I don't think this is briopsis.

coloagro

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Ive had plenty of bryopsis and like I told him I don't think this is Bryopsis... It looks almost like grass granted I have yet to see it in person. Hair Algae variety? Are their nuisance algae that can go a-sexual that look like this? You algae pros fill us in... I think we're both stumped.

Dbarnes

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
09bumblebee;182762 said:
Ok here's an update I don't think this is briopsis.
Hmmm agreed that that pic does not look like bryopsis... i vote get a sea hare and see what happens, they eat everything

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

coloagro

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
The long blades of green algae may be either of these two. I say you use a reactor and starve it out over 2 weeks slowly. I just got done doing it as you saw when you were here and my zoas, palys etc are all back to being happy. It took a couple water extra changes and about 2 weeks of using the reactor for 2-3 hours a day.... now the tank is free of the pesky algae. Good luck and keep us posted.

Green Turf Algae

What is known as "Green Turf Algae" in the hobby is really a generic name given to hundreds of different species of macroalgae that describe certain similar characteristics. They are coarse, wiry, and generally have thicker wider blades than Green Hair Algae. They may or may not have a mat like root structure, sometimes they just seem to sprout from the rock.
Turf algae that sprouts directly from the rock can be a pain to control, as it is difficult if not impossible to pluck it all. Once discovered it should be treated outside of the aquarium, perhaps by dipping the affected rock or frag in water treated with an algaecide.Turf algae that grows with a "root" mat can be peeled by pushing down on the algae as you scrape your thumb against the rock dislodging it in one swoop. Let it get big enough so you have leverage. The 3reef member who removed this piece did it perfectly.
Clean up Crew members that will eat Green Turf Algae include inverts with considerable cutting power like urchins, chitons, and emerald crabs.

OR

Cladophoropsis, Green Wiry Algae

Species in this genus, and related ones, cling to the rock, and spread from a runner. The branches do not get tall, and they are often found with hobbyist frags or on live rock.
Manual Removal - Difficult. Macros that have fragile runners and creep along the rock are the hardest to manually remove. Do the best you can. Get a dental pick and get it all the first time and be done with it.

Clean Up Crew- Rock Boring Urchins, Emerald Crabs, Turbos, and Sea Hares occasionally pick on it, but it dont seem particularly interested in it.
Starving it out - It seems to be particularly good at adapting to nutrient lulls, and it is unlikely that a small amount of the algae here and there will be starved out of your tank.
Fortunately these algae species tend to grow slowly, and aren't particularly common.
We distinguish this from Green Turf Algae by keeping this heading limited to green algae that creep along the rockwork, rather than grow up from it.

09bumblebee

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Pulled 90% of the rock and soaked in hydrogen peroxide and ro and scrubbed. Sea hair has taken care of the rest so far.

Dbarnes

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
09bumblebee;186244 said:
Pulled 90% of the rock and soaked in hydrogen peroxide and ro and scrubbed. Sea hair has taken care of the rest so far.
Glad it worked for ya, its such a relief when it actually goes away. Be careful that the sea hare has enough to eat, mine were so good they ate the tank until they were starved. If they start to shrink i would move it to your fuge or another tank. Just my experience

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

09bumblebee

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Yepp that's my plan once it's 100% cleaned it will go to the 90 then the fuge than David's tank than Brent's haha. Than he will be dbtc'd

reefmaster719

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I had the same issue just not as bad...I bought a phosphate sponge and used it for a week. Problem solved and my tank is clean as ever. Sucks you had to kill the rock :(

09bumblebee

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
daveydoodle said:
How do you think it got there in the first place...one little rock dropped in when you wern't looking....mmuuuhaaaaaa (evil villan laugh)
I'll find a rock covered in glass anemone's and tell the wife to put it in there.