Need expert help about lights

I want to upgrade my lights in my 180 gallon tank. I have fish and live rocks for now but I want to add corals soon from SPS to LPS and whatever I want. I want to be able grow the corals not just keep them, which that is the hard part.
Can LED grow corals? Is it strong enough? I have few friends recommend MH with HO T5s? I know it will not be cheap but I want to do it right so I am asking the experts opinion.

that0neguy1126

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have used both LED and T5's. My DT is 240 3w LED's and my frag tank is a 4 bulb 30" T5HO setup. Both grow just fine.

My monti's in my DT grow super fast. Acro's grow pretty good as well. It is usually the Zoa's I have a problem growing in my DT.

On my frag tank, I think I notice a little bit more of the red color's in the coral, but I wouldn't say they look any better or worse than the DT.

For the growth of corals, I beleive any system is capable of growing them at a good rate. But lighting is only half of the battle. There are a ton of other factor's that influence coral growth such as water parameters, flow, placement, pests, fish, etc.

Water parameters are good, only my CA is high. The tank is due for a water change this weekend. So hope that should bring it down. Water flow is really good. About placement the coral I am going to invest in a PAR meter so that should help. Fish I have tangs and file fish with couple wrasses. I am going to add corals in the next 3 months, not in a hurry for it. I just want to make sure I buy the correct lights that will help coral growth.