Need help figuring out how to add overflow to IM SR120 tank

Looking for an overflow option for my Innovative Marine SR-120 tank. I really want to add a proper refugium in one of my stand compartments. I need an overflow option but most of them require a high water line to feed the overflow. I need something that can be fed a little lower because of placement in the back chambers of the tank. Any ideas?

tank is already fully stocked, draining and drilling isnt an option.

SkyDiv3r17

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
I mean using a long U Tube and a deep overflow is possible. But you might have to get one custom made. You just need to make sure you have enough pull from the water when creating a syphon.

SilverSurfer

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Gonna follow this as it is my future build in the making already have the sump refugium, now I just need the tank and my custom made stand!

SilverSurfer;327565 said:
Gonna follow this as it is my future build in the making already have the sump refugium, now I just need the tank and my custom made stand!
You're doing the SR-120?

SilverSurfer

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Yeah I will be

From my experience and the one other persons tank i've seen running the sr-120, the back section is not very functional. If you run it where the water levels should normally be according to the baffle setup, the overflow from the intake and over the baffles is extremely noisy. I've tried tinkering with it every way possible as have others I know and the only way to quiet it down is to run the tank with the bank chamber overfilled. If I can somehow add a good sized skimmer and an overflow box to a sump or fuge I would be satisfied with the system going forward. I have heard that the sr-60 and sr-80 don't have the same problem. I think it may have something to do with the middle section that houses the 3rd return pump. Water gets really stagnant in that chamber because it pulls very little from either side, instead of a constant stream coming from one direction. I currently just have that third chamber setup with live rock a little sand and a bunch of chaeto. Return pump is still in there.

SilverSurfer

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Wow Shane thanks thats great information. Ultimately my idea is basically the same as yours to use the filter setup in the rear on either side as normal and would the center chamber be a good place to use a bean animal design overflow, to go into the life reef sump skimmer refugium return?

SilverSurfer

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Couldn't you put a slightly larger pump in the center chamber and T it to both the center and say right or left returns which ever one you don't use a pump for and that way it would pull through that chamber and into the center?

That would probably work. Or just upgrading to a higher gph for the center pump would probably take care of the issue as well. I'm thinking about just running the back of the tank really full and picking out a hob overflow to sump like you're talking about. Theres 4 different sections in the stand and you can fit about a 15-20g high sump/fuge, so not a lot of room to work with. Thats why im thinking about getting a skimmer lie the ghost that can sit in the back chamber of the tank so i can use the limited space in the tank below to the refugium.

SilverSurfer

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Thats one of the reasons I didn't want their stand and wanted to go with a custom version. I don't know if you went to MACNA but they had a tank there on a white stand with like 4 radian pros over it It had like a 4 inch lip all the way around it and the tank rested down inside it a bit so I figured I would make sure the inside of the stand could house what I have for it while I was at it. I think I may have a pic if I do Ill post it might have just gotten the pic of the tank though.

SilverSurfer

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member

Not the best pic of the stand but you get the idea. Maybe you even saw it there.

Yeah thats a good idea. I would do a custom stand if i could do over. I'm actually having a custom canopy built for it right now. I just need to find an overflow box that will work with a water level like 3-5 inches below the tank rim. Most of them seem to be designed to go onto a tank where the water is filled to the brim, which wont be the case if it is in the back chamber...

I did see that at macna definitely a nice option. That tank doesnt have a false back though, right?

SilverSurfer

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Thats another reason I wanted to go with the 120 since the sump and fugue measure 50 inches end to end I don't want to have a stand the is exceedingly long compared to the tank lol. Plus I love the panoramic view of the 6 ft tank.

SilverSurfer

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
No the tank doesn't and it looks like theres a riser on the back that part of the stand where the returns come out but thats no going to be part of the design when I have it made. It was a great looking tank but I don't think it holds a candle to yours. Its also way to deep for my liking. One of the reasons I want to switch out my 110 for a 120 SR just a pain for me to clean the bottom of this tank. Plus the sump refuge I have won't fit under my 110.

Yeah my last tank was a 105 tall, deep tank. Was a pain in the *** to clean for sure. This thing is a piece of cake :)