Need help IDing this snail...

Found this snail in my sump. Any idea on which snail this is? Photo blurry, but he has a white shell with 2 red dots on it. His body is also white, but his antennae is red

ReefCheif

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
Limpet?? Does it look like it only has half a shell, kind of like a helmet?

The shell looks like a finger nail. LOL best way I know how to describe the shape. No points or anything, just a small oval shape.

ReefCheif

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
jagermeister;241166 said:
Stomatella snail?
+1, Thats what I was looking for, not Limpet!

Vance

Angel Fish
Stomatella snail?
+1, if it has a fleshy tail thats it. They use it as a defense mechanism and can shed it like a lizard when attached by a predator. Great little algae eaters and reproduce in aquaria.

That looks like what it is. Thanks guys! It dropped the fleshy tail when trying to remove it to the DT

asn-naso

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I wish you could find Stomatella for sale. They may or may not be great algae eaters, but they do reproduce all of the time, which adds plankton to the tank.

We have a few dozen stomatella snails... some with black shells, some sort of an iridescent color... looking at them right now and can count at least 15 off the bat... but none have those dots like yours does.

I have yet to see one like mine either :/ It did seem to drop its tail though, either that or I scared it and I saw something else floating while it hid.

@asneiman - petco on 120th and washington get these as HH all the time, they will give them to you for free since they don't even have a skew to sell it under...