need some directions

mathewkofalk

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
I am about to purchase a 75g rr tank it comes with some t5 lighting which i may upgrade in the future. I need to know a few things. First, is a 29 gallon large enough for a sump i plan on having a skimmer and a refugium in it. Second what size skimmer is needed and what size return pump. What size heater is needed. How much base rock (dried out live rock) and how much cured live rock will i need. anything ulse im missing like do i need a circulation pump. also i am interested in a nitrate reactor ive seen one on you tube that seems cool. as far as calcium i will probably dose but would there be any room for a reactor. Any advice helps ive not had a tank this large before, and my only reef tank was a nano 9 gallon that lived for 4 years before heater went crazy and fried the tank.

Haulin Oates

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
need some directions

I think the bigger the sump, the better. More water volume keeps things more stable, and gives you more time to solve problems. You need to turn the tank over 750gph, but if you want to run reactors and such, I'd recommend a 1200-1400gph pump, so you don't have multiple pumps running. I'd say 500 watts of heater should be good. Maybe 2 250s or 2 300 watts. You'll definitely need some power heads or wavemakers in the display. A single MP40, some koralias, or some Tunzes should do nicely.

FishTV

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
need some directions

Before you buy/build a sump, plan it out. How much space do you have for it? What do you want to put in it, skimmer, fuge, filter socks, return pumps, reactors, room for overflow? Figure out how much room all of the things you want in there are going to take up when you plan it out. If your going to run bubble traps, what level does your skimmer need to run at. You can do things to build up a step for your skimmer, to match the height of your fuge if you need to, but try to get it on paper and see if it all works there, And if you can still climb in there to service it.

opakapaka

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
I think the deciding factor would be how much space you got in your stand. If you got the real estate than go with the biggest you can fit in there.

mathewkofalk

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
ok point taken the 29 gallon is included in this purchase. I am actually purchasing the 75 Gallon listed in the classifieds on this site.

Cake_Boss

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
You could do a temp sump, the 29g, and upgrade in the future; but that is another issue.

I would really plan it out first, as previously stated. The stand will dictate a lot of things. Make you sure can stick your arms underneath with enough room to maneuver stuff around. Can you put the sump in/take it out while the tank is full? If buying from this forum, ask the seller these questions. They've used it, they should know.

As far as skimmers go, there's plenty on the FS section that would do you nicely. The ASM G3 and SWC160 come to mind initially. A Ca Rx is usually external.

Happy Reefing

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
29G is fine in volume, but the dimensions of that tank are not easy for skimmers and other equipment. A 30G breeder is the same volume, but has a larger footprint. You need to make sure that you can get a skimmer body in/out of the sump while it is under the tank.

mathewkofalk

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Yeah the sump was built for the stand so it fit and its all working il up date a couple pictures also i have some rock coming in tomorrow.