Need someone to help

Hi,

I'm trying to set up a new tank and my overflow is leaking. I'm not sure why but I would like someone to help me with it. I will pay for the materials and the cost to have you come look at it. I really would like to get this setup as I am moving up from a biocube. PM me if your interested!

Thanks!!

Munch

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Location? Not sure you need to pay for anything... lots of people can help :)

asn-naso;268696 said:
Where do you live?

Also, can you post pictures of where the leaks are?
I live in Longmont. The leak is coming from where the two pieces of overflow connect between the bottom of the tank. So one end screws in from the top of the tank, and the other end screws into the bottom of the tank and then goes to the sump. I am having a leak at that connecting part.

I got the tank from Munch which is a very awesome tank and I think I'm just not plumbing it right/may need to get new tubing. He has awesome stuff!!

FinsUp

According to my watch, the time is now.
M.A.S.C Club Member
That's a SWEET lookin' setup!! No doubt in my mind you'll have someone helping soon. Good bunch of folks here. Best of luck, and I can't wait to see this one up and running.

CindyL;268717 said:
That's a SWEET lookin' setup!! No doubt in my mind you'll have someone helping soon. Good bunch of folks here. Best of luck, and I can't wait to see this one up and running.
Thanks Cindy! I'm dying to get it up and running, I even built that stand myself (I'm no DIY guy)

Munch

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Did you get new gaskets? Will definitely need new ones... Those will go inside the overflow box, not below it on the nut side (like my pictures in the thread below). You want them on the wet side - who knew right? ;)

I actually asked Cadlights a while back for info on where the sourced their plumbing pieces, I liked the blue, but the sizes seemed off from standard. I never got an answer back from them. Measure the holes and see if you can source a replacement pair of gaskets, if not, it might be easier to drop in new standard sized bulkheads.

I never measured it, since it was up and running, I couldn't tell the exact sizes.

Here's the thread on it, which had some measurements, and feedback from others. It might help - or confuse ya!

http://www.marinecolorado.org/forums/showthread.php?18050-PVC&highlight=blue+pvc

With my latest tank, it came down to SCH 40 plumbing vs SCH 80, they are close, but a bit off from each other.

Munch

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
http://www.thatpetplace.com/gasket-..._id=26542495&gclid=CJnbv5fP27kCFSZp7AodmCEAMg

Little rubber pieces, that keep the water where you want it, and off the threads of the bulkhead.

You might be able to locate them in town. I thought I threw them in with the plumbing - if they are there, use them to size, but don't re-use them. Over time they get brittle, pinched from the initial use, and in my case, I had them incorrectly installed on the bottom.

Munch

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
For the tank you have now, I never figured it out. It was impossible to be certain unless it was pulled apart, I didn't want to drain everything to find out. Now that you have it apart, measure them.

The gasket will go inside the overflow box, for both the return and the drain.

Munch

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Here's the pic I took, when they were incorrectly installed below. So just get two new ones, put them inside the overflow box, and you'll be set.

Munch;268763 said:
Here's the pic I took, when they were incorrectly installed below. So just get two new ones, put them inside the overflow box, and you'll be set.

Thanks so much! I'll keep you posted !

This is a picture of my 29g biocube, the frogspawn is growing to the surface and everything is growing crazy! I need to get this other system up and running ASAP!

Turbo4toy

Blenny
M.A.S.C Club Member
Nmertz1;268780 said:
This is a picture of my 29g biocube, the frogspawn is growing to the surface and everything is growing crazy! I need to get this other system up and running ASAP!

What lighting is currently in your cube?

jda123;268822 said:
You get it figured out? *I am in Longmont.

Gasket goes on the wet side.
Still haven't figured it out. Just bought new gaskets and it's still leaking. I don't know what I'm doing wrong..