Need someone to help

Munch

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Hmm, I'm wonder if that's why I ended up with my gaskets on the dry side. It's been so long since I initially set it up.

Post up a quick pic of the tie piece of the return pipe, not in the tank, just outside of it, I cannot remember what they looked like, on both ends...

I think it has to do with the threaded part. I will probably just have to scrap the plumbing and set it up new. Not a big deal.

If anyone is close to Longmont and would be willing to help me out that would be much appreciated! I will throw in some frags! :)

Munch

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Yeah, its not a traditional bulkhead. Can you flip the pieces around? Pump the sump piece on top, on the overflow on the bottom?

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
As a wise man (bajamike) once told me....always always use new bulkheads when setting up new tanks :D

With that being said I would grab new bulk heads myself. I can't see them being anny bigger than 1" or 3/4". Sorry to see you're having issues.

CRW Reef;268955 said:
As a wise man (bajamike) once told me....always always use new bulkheads when setting up new tanks :D

With that being said I would grab new bulk heads myself. I can't see them being anny bigger than 1" or 3/4". Sorry to see you're having issues.
Thanks, what does the inside of the overflow look like? (The inside part of the tank)

I'm sorry I have so many questions and can't seem to figure this out..

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
So traditionally you would have 2 holes in the tank. So looking down inside the tank you will see two holes. This is where you will outh the new bulkheads. You will put the bulk head male end down with the gaskets brien sandwhiched between the glass and large flanged end of the bulk heads. Then on the underside of the tank you will screw on the plastic nut to the male end hand/finger tight. This will then squeeze the squeeze the gaskets tight and give you a water tight seal.

Now usually if you are looking at the tank the bulk head on the right will be your return and the one on the left will be your over flow line to the sump.

So...options being to you want pipe thread bulk heads on male portion or slip (meaning you have to glue your over flow line to sump). If you use threaded you will want to use thread tape on the male adapter (just a few wraps).

Hope this helps.

CRW Reef;268960 said:
So traditionally you would have 2 holes in the tank. So looking down inside the tank you will see two holes. This is where you will outh the new bulkheads. You will put the bulk head male end down with the gaskets brien sandwhiched between the glass and large flanged end of the bulk heads. Then on the underside of the tank you will screw on the plastic nut to the male end hand/finger tight. This will then squeeze the squeeze the gaskets tight and give you a water tight seal.

Now usually if you are looking at the tank the bulk head on the right will be your return and the one on the left will be your over flow line to the sump.

So...options being to you want pipe thread bulk heads on male portion or slip (meaning you have to glue your over flow line to sump). If you use threaded you will want to use thread tape on the male adapter (just a few wraps).

Hope this helps.
That helps a lot thank you very much for your response. I definitely have the two holes drilled into the bottom of the tank.

If anyone is Longmont and willing to help me set this up so I don't screw it up that would be awesome!!!

Munch

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
The easiest thing would be to buy bulkheads. I'm not sure why Cadlights went with the setup they did....

Munch;268965 said:
The easiest thing would be to buy bulkheads. I'm not sure why Cadlights went with the setup they did....
Do you have any piping on the inside of the overflow box? Or is it just the bulkhead and an open hole?

Munch

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Not sure what you mean. All the drain plumbing is there. The only other piece was a section of clear tubing to tie into the return - that's a piece you'd need to replace if you keep the blue PVC.

If you go with new bulkheads, you'd need to tire everything in with fresh plumbing.

Munch

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
This is essentially the way it looks:

The yellow is the tank bottom, below would be into the sump, above is in the overflow box. The grey is the clear PVC you need to buy. The top two black boxes represent the lock line returns.

Ideally you have your gaskets above the glass, on the wetside. BUT because Cadlights has their funky design, I don't think I could get that to work, hence in my pics from yesterday, I mounted them on the dry side. It worked, but not ideal.

[attachment=65084:name]

What is leaking on yours, the return only or the drain?

Picture 1 is where I am having leaking issues.

This is what I mean by if you have piping in the inside of the overflow or if it could just be the bulkhead with an open hole.. See picture 2.

Munch

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
You could do 2, but it'll be loud. And it won't fix it your leaking underneath in the sump.

Just for kicks, put your gasket underneath in the sump area, but just for the drain. It's the way I had it running when I had it, again, not ideal, but might be the only option and only way to actually do it with the plumbing Cadlights supplys.

Munch

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
If it were me, and I was re-setting up the tank, I'd buy new bulkheads, set the gasket on the wetside, and plumb like the initial diagram with new PVC/flex tubing. Then there's no question as to it working/not working long term.