Need work done on 180g tank

I acquired a 180 gallon tank that I need someone to drill the tank, build overflow's and replace the center brace. The kicker is I'm not moving the tank again, so I'm looking for someone to come to my place in Westminster (80th and Sheridan) to do the work. Must have references no first timers. I could use some help with overflow design as well. Thanks

Cake_Boss

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
I take your post as you want to redesign your non drilled tank. Am I wrong?

May I suggest a free modeling program like sketchup? Just to help you put ideas on paper.

If you are overhauling your tank: what space do you have to work with around your tank, can you do an external overflow, will noise control be an issue, will the sump be under the tank (in stand), will the sump be in the basement, do you want a closed loop system, do you want an ATS, can you incorporate a water change station, is Euro bracing an option for you?

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk HD

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking at incorporating Herbie or bean animal overflow into an existing Non drilled tank, need someone to drill and build the internal overflow. I'm currently building a stand to handle a 55 gallon sump/refugium. I'm not sure what you mean by closed loop, currently I'm only looking at overflow and return piping. I'll be adding ATS which will be served by a 30 gallon RO/DI reservoir in the basement. Never thought about water change station I'll need to look into what's required, same thing for the euro brace.

MartinsReef

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Is it a tempered bottom glass? Many of us have drilled tanks and it easy. However, if your worried about it then why not just take it to a shop and pay to have it drilled?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Cake_Boss

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
One more question, how old is the tank? Would it be worthwhile to reseal it now that it's waterless? Just looking out for your future water soaked carpet

MartinsReef

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
H2O_intolerant;290106 said:
One more question, how old is the tank? Would it be worthwhile to reseal it now that it's waterless? Just looking out for your future water soaked carpet

+1 I would depending how old it is.

I'm not sure if the bottom is tempered, so I'm thinking of just drilling the back. I'm wanting to drill at my place has the tanks weighs close to 400 LBS empty and it took 4 of us to move it in. I'm willing to pay someone for there time and would just like to know that they have successfully drilled a couple tanks before.

The thought of re-sealing did cross my mind it was holding water just two weeks ago, however it has been set-up for over ten years and the seal isn't factory.

MartinsReef

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Robert B;290113 said:
I'm not sure if the bottom is tempered, so I'm thinking of just drilling the back. I'm wanting to drill at my place has the tanks weighs close to 400 LBS empty and it took 4 of us to move it in. I'm willing to pay someone for there time and would just like to know that they have successfully drilled a couple tanks before.
I here you loud and clear. I've owned two 180 tanks. And the last one got sat down on my finger tips. That sucked!

Aku

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
So, its been a long time since I've been on these forums. Pardon my jumping in, but it sounds like this is a glass tank. Everything I have seen on drilling glass thanks, you need to have water to cool the bit. If you are drilling the back without running water down the side... it is going to be tough to drill without moving the tank. The tank will either need to be on its side or at an angle. Correct me if I missed something.