New From Fort Collins.

Hello I'm a total noob. I have been in the tank business for about 6 years now all fresh :D. I have a 10g, two 30g's a 55g and just recently picked up a 90g still empty. I'm starting to realize that I have a problem. So I started planning a custom stand for a 150g. The plan was (WAS being the key word) to combine all tanks into the 90 and the 150. But then I started thinking about salt. I have always wanted to do salt but have been scared to try. Have been doing a lot of reading and talking to my LFS. I think I'm going to go all in. 150g salt tank baby here I come. I would love any tips suggestions and or links to do reading up myself.

Heffe01

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Welcome....sites like this will be your greatest resource. Consider it like a mentorship and ask lots of questions. And remember...take it slow. The worst thing you can do is rush it as it is an expensive hobby.

skebo

Blenny
M.A.S.C Club Member
Welcome. What took you so long? seriously, you can never learn enough. It just does not end. When you think you do, your tank will spike your temper and you will realize that you have a whole other subject matter to read about. But you cannot let this stop you from trying, or you will never learn anything. So good for you for stepping out of your confort box, and into your next mid life crisis obsession. Soon you will think, why didn't I take the red pill.

Cool thanks. I really excited to finally getting into saltwater. I on taking things slow and learning everything I can along the way. Building stand, getting tank, parts, filter parts, ect. I'm sure Ill have alot of questions. Like power will I need a dedicated power source for a 150g? Will I need a w/d with 4 inches of sand and Lr? Or will a simple sump do? I plan on getting mostly play sand and a bit of live sand to start www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-100322099/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=play%20sand&storeId=10051 good or bad idea its says ok for fish and I read Reef Central to use something similar? I live in a apt and plan on moving in Oct. How hard is it to move a Lr setup or would it be best to set up somewhere semi permanent? I will have lot of questions along the way and but its going to be a long road im sure. This hobby appears to be allergic to cheap. Once again thanks for the welcome and I look forward to getting to know you.

Skebo Congrats on your build and Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:

skebo

Blenny
M.A.S.C Club Member
Noider;145289 said:
Like power will I need a dedicated power source for a 150g? Will I need a w/d with 4 inches of sand and Lr? Or will a simple sump do? I plan on getting mostly play sand and a bit of live sand to start .. good or bad idea its says ok for fish and I read Reef Central to use something similar? I live in a apt and plan on moving in Oct. How hard is it to move a Lr setup or would it be best to set up somewhere semi permanent? I will have lot of questions along the way and but its going to be a long road im sure. This hobby appears to be allergic to cheap. Once again thanks for the welcome and I look forward to getting to know you.

Skebo Congrats on your build and Good luck.
Thank you sir. I have a 90 tall now with a crushed coral substrate, and a HOB wet dry with some bio balls. I left my over the back filter on from my freshwater days and I am glad i did. For me my water has 0 am, 0 nitra, 0 nitri, but my phos was always higher. So i added a canister with phos-ban and have it down to 3ppm. These values never change for me so its really about playing with it. However I was never a fan of sand as it has less surface area for the no2 scrubbing and is so much harder to manage. If you use sand, use it w/ something else to give it more surface area for No2 breakdown or you need a ton of sifters.
I have a dimond back watchman goby who still has no problem filtering this stuff through his gills, but I did buy him at 3" so it would be easier for him. He moves my whole substrate around 2x a day. I had to put my mandrin in my fuge (just added) because I did not think the copes would be in enough qty for him because of how much that goby sifts everything.

PErsonally, if you know your moving, keep it in a cycle stage. LR and some damsiles or something with cuc's. Get your bactieria levels up before you add corals and it will make your life easier for the move. At least, until you move :) Tehn again oct is far to far away to wait. LR in some buckets with your tank water will be ok if you watch the temp and try and circulate. Those seriously rigid 30gal bins with the yellow lids have worked great in the past for me. My hob filter from the old days will have to go someday, but after I plumbed in a fuge for isolation (not QT) i was able to pick of a ton of copes for the fuge to get it going, and of course just used substrate from my tank. Crushed coral is a great buffer for ph. I even threw some in my 55gal drum where i dump my RO and add salt and a heater. I for one, never will add something to move ph. I find tehm too volitile. Hope that gives some ideas.

I does give me some ideas for sure. I read that when using home depot sand to use med grain for more surface area and add some live sand then all the creatures will do the sifting for you. Also I have to finish setting up my gf's goldfish tank before I can start my setup. Still need to get the pump and filter then should be ready to roll.
[attachment=60979:name]

jgonzz

Hammerhead Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
I would skip the home depot sand, and get sand that's ment for reef use

Also live sand in no needed, a few good peices of live rock or a scoop from a fellow reefer will be enough to kick start the new sand

Like you said this hobby is anything but cheap. Esp if you want to do it right the first time

Welcome! You will find sooo much useful info on this site and there are plenty of wise, helpful folks to answer questions. I find the search feature invaluable too. If you ever need anything, there are other folks up around your area who would probably trade you a cup of sand, DBTC you your first corals, etc. And it has been said already, but PICS!! Even if it's just an empty tank. Some of us whom are limited to 2 tanks - boo - live vicariously through others. I really enjoy watching other tanks come alive.

Off The Deep End

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I tried the home depot sand once and will never do it again, i couldnt keep anything alive in the tank then throught lots of reading i figured out that there are heavy metals in play sand.

I tried the HD play sand in a cichlid tank and it worked OK, but I would never use it in a saltwater tank. It's too heavy. I like the fine grain in the aragonite live sand I used and it helps keep my ph buffered high

skebo

Blenny
M.A.S.C Club Member
Where did you Get that pink fuzzy fish? :) awsome, you found your cleaning solution.

How you coming along?

Who has a pink fuzzy fish?