New from SD

Hello!
I just moved to Rapid City, SD and am getting ready to set up a reef. I have been keeping SW for about 7 years but have always had smaller tanks due to being in apartments and graduate school. We just moved into a house and I'm ready to get started on a more permanent tank!

There are no stores here that sell saltwater stuff besides petco. How disappointing is that?

I have bits and pieces but am still needing a tank. I ordered a 75 from petco here back in the middle of May and it took 3-4 weeks to come and it came with a big chip in one of the corners. Still waiting on the replacement to come, but am not obligated to buy it if I find something nicer in the meantime. Already have a 40 breeder sump, 2 mh lights, a skimmer, heater, etc. Just need that tank and stand!

hurrafreak

Orca
M.A.S.C Club Member
Welcome to the madness!!! I can shoot you some ideas on where to look for fish stores :)

These two stores used to be in Rapid City, not sure if they still exist:

Pet Paradise
Fish Here Pet Center

Mini Critters is in Sioux Falls, and Pets Plus is in Watertown. Not sure where those are in reference to you though haha.

303travism

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Gollum169;176458 said:
I have never ordered fish online. Is live aquaria the best site?
Greetings! From what I've heard if I were to order fish online it would only be from liveaquaria

Found a good sized chip in the bottom back corner. Not sure how it happened. I have had it filled with water in the garage for 9 hours now and it doesn't leak. Not sure how long to wait before I am convinced it is safe to use in the basement. Anyone else have a tank with a chipped corner?

It is 1/2" glass.
Here is a pic from my phone. Not the best quality. The chip is in the back pane of glass. It doesn't extend into the seal. [attachment=61951:name]

hurrafreak

Orca
M.A.S.C Club Member
Where height wise is it? I have something very similar to this, it's not as deep as yours seems, but it's been up with me for around 2 years and before me around 5 years I think.......

It is towards the bottom, right above the trim. I realize this is where the most hydrostatic pressure is.....
The whole thing make me nervous, but I drove 300 miles one way to pick it up yesterday. So far so good with the testing in the garage I guess.

[attachment=61956:name]
Here is a pic of the other side of the chip. I have had it filled for 18 hours now and no leaks or changes in the chip. Still pessimistic though.

ReeferMatt

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
At least you are putting it in the basement, I would take the chance, but that's me :)

I will maybe wait a few more days to see if the chip changes or leaks.
The basement is finished, but there is a floor drain a few feet from where the tank will be sitting.