New nano newb

Hey guys! I'm new here so any suggestions will help!

Here is my setup. 29bio cube.

1 true perc (the other one died, don't order from saltwaterfish.com)
1 frogspawn
1 blue Xenia

Large clean up crew

Badgervet

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Welcome! How long as your tank been up and running and what kind of lighting do you run (i.e. power compacts?) What do yo plan on having/growing in your cube? You may want to consider lighting options depending on what you want.

Thanks everyone. For right now I'm sticking to the stock lighting for the biocube. I am only planning on doing soft corals for now, but I'm sure i will want to upgrade. Here is a picture of the tank today. Been going for about 5 weeks and I am getting nice green and purple coralline growth. Parameters are perfect. I also added some green and orange zoas and I'm growing GSP on the back wall. (Saw it at my LFS and it looked awesome!)

thanks again,

-Nick

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Oh I said the same thing...a month later I swapped out the PC bulbs for the halide hood.

Welcome to the hobby of endless upgrades. :)

HondaHound

Goby
M.A.S.C Club Member
There are some cool biocube mods out there. I dropped the bottom out of chamber two and turned it into a refugium. Lot better than the bio balls

Ya I definitely ditched the bio balls. I added some oceanic goodies.. The skimmer (which I feel does a great job for my bio load!) the UV sterilizer and another power head. I also swapped the bio balls with live rock ruble, purigen and chemi-pure elite surrounded by filter floss. Does a nice job IMO.

Cake_Boss

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
Re: New nano newb

Nmertz1;220859 said:
Hey guys! I'm new here so any suggestions will help!

Here is my setup. 29bio cube.

1 true perc (the other one died, don't order from saltwaterfish.com)
1 frogspawn
1 blue Xenia

Large clean up crew
Did you win the 5lbs of RR rock from D&G? Looks good

No I didn't win the live rock. I've got about 35lbs of it tho and 25lbs of live sand.

I just moved some corals around and the GSP is taking nicely to the back wall.

HEY GUYS,

It has been a while since I first started this thread, so I figured I would do an update. Like everyone said, of course I would be upgrading. I added a kessil a150w LED light to the biocube a few months back and the growth has been insane. I picked up a few nice corals and finally another perc so my other one could mate up. check it out!

Added:
Kessil LED light
Intank media basket and fuge basket
Galexia Coral
Birdsnest
Acan Lord Coral
(1 coral on bottom left, not sure what it is)
Frogspawn went from 2 heads to 16![attachment=64929:name]

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
The one on the bottom left looks to be a scoly.

Tank seems to be maturing nicely for you; that growth on the frogspawn is pretty dang impressive. Congrats, keep it up.

sethsolomon

Hammerhead Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Looking good! With that Kessel you can do a lot of SPS now :) You should hit up Great White Aquatics and get a few cool peices of branch rock and make an SPS island :p

Here's a final shot of my 29 gallon biocube. I will be selling this one and moving on to a 55 gallon cube set up! I'm pretty excited for that and this has been an incredible journey with the biocube.