New Sump

Irishman

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
I am re doing my sump since my 40 breeder is down now. Going away from the split flow to to just single flow to the sump. My question is is there any pros or cons having the baffles next to the skimmer opposed to next to the return pump? Also is there a set height the baffle has to be in the middle, I'm doing over-under-over flow for the baffles? My sump is going skimmer-fuge-return. Any insight is much appreciated.

Are you going to keep rock in the sump at all? If so I'd leave at least one chamber tall to accommodate that. Otherwise my 50 gallon sump runs about half full. And setting baffles for the up flow is a good idea. Everytime you force water up it loses air bubbles.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

szavoda

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
I typically set the middle baffle about an inch higher than the outer two. Aso set them to about 1 - 1 1/2 inches apart. I prefer a little further apart if possible to make cleaning between them easier. Setting the return pump(s) after the last baffle will minimize micro bubbles entering the DT. Simmer is best right in the area where the overflow dumps into the sump.

I am not sure where the value of the rocks in the sump is if you have LR in the DT. Some people will put a deep sand bed in the 3rd chamber of a sump if their display has no sand or a shallower bed. Especially if you are looking at hosting pods. Refugiums are popular in this section as well, but I prefer an algae scrubber.

Irishman

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
I was just wondering if the height of the glass for the middle baffle was important, whether it being the same height as the first baffle, smaller or bigger. I know that the spacing between everything is one inch. The main thing I was wondering is where I should set the bubble trap, like right after the skimmer or right before the return, I've heard mixed things.