New tank cycle

Munch

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I'm going bare bottom on the new frag tank. I'm starting with dry marco rock - 1 or two large pieces. Am I better off with pulling water from my display tank to start my cycle, or just start with 100% freshly made water?

opakapaka

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Re: New tank cycle

I would use the old water to give it a jump start.

2sweet

Butterfly Fish
+1, when you do your water change just put your old water in to help the cycle

Zooid

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I'd use new. Everything that I've read states that almost all the beneficial bacteria you need for a biological filter come from surfaces in the tank, not the water. The reason I'd use new is just to reduce the possibility of getting unwanted spores in the new tank setup. If you know there are no unwanted organisms in your display, then you should be ok using that water to start your frag tank but it may take just as long as normal for a cycle.

Take all this with a grain of salt, because it's all second hand knowledge which may or may not be correct LOL

09bumblebee

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Zooid;230475 said:
I'd use new. Everything that I've read states that almost all the beneficial bacteria you need for a biological filter come from surfaces in the tank, not the water. The reason I'd use new is just to reduce the possibility of getting unwanted spores in the new tank setup. If you know there are no unwanted organisms in your display, then you should be ok using that water to start your frag tank but it may take just as long as normal for a cycle.

Take all this with a grain of salt, because it's all second hand knowledge which may or may not be correct LOL
+1 I had cyano in a tank years ago and started a new tank with probly 20% old tank water and several weeks later had cyano. So who knows. I've always started with fresh ever since.

Cake_Boss

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member

Zooid;230475 said:

+2

Munch

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Going with new water.

Anyone know if anyone carries Dr Tim's bacteria locally?

Smiley

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I started off with dry rock, dry sand, and ro/di and still have cyano. No clue as to where it came from, but its easier to deal with than any other issues. i also used Bactiv8 which if i dose a cap of it, the cyano goes away for a couple days... but then it comes right back. I figure ill let it continue to cycle for a couple more months and deal with it as it comes.

Aaron

Cyano
M.A.S.C Club Member
I agree with the new, I've done it both ways going with old invites algae outbreaks as the tank cycles.

Great White did at one point I think, you might want to call ahead and double check. Vince's chaeto algae tank is pretty clean, you might consider adding some of that as a substitute.

Munch;232545 said:
Going with new water.

Munch;232545 said:
If you can't find the stuff you're looking for. Try Seachem Stability. It works great, I use it when setting up ANY new tank.

+ 1 to using new water for tank setup. If you add old water from an existing tank, I see this as just adding dirty fouled water. Start with a fresh batch of salt water.

I believe the bacteria we're after grows on all hard surfaces in our tanks. What you could possibly do, is take some media/liverock/livesand from your current tank and place it in your new setup to help ease the cycle.

Munch

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Yeah, I'm thinking I want a completely fresh build. I started last build with a live rock from Todd's, and fought aptasia and astrea starfish. So I really want a pristine tank. No live rock, and hoping to minimize any bad hitchhikers.
I'm going to give the Salinity Stability a shot I think.

Last edited by a moderator:

MartinsReef

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member

I am startin' everything new on mine as well, no rocks or water from my other system.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2