1. Welcome to the shiny new site! Please have a look around and let us know how its working for you. Please note that all returning members will need to reset your passwords to login again. Click on "forgot password" to reset your password. Thanks
    Dismiss Notice

New to Denver

Discussion in 'Tank Chemistry' started by Stickhead, Aug 23, 2017.

1. Stickhead

Stickhead Copepod

Hello, I just moved here from Seattle. I live between the DTC and Aurora, about 5 min south of Cherry Creek, on the Northwest side of the state park.

I have tested my water for Chlorine, and am not reading much, but am curious if chloramines are a problem here?

2. scchase

scchase Marlin Staff Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. M.A.S.C Club Member

They are and pretty bad in most of Aurora as well, I ended up installing a high capacity Chloramine filter for my RO because of them

Cherub likes this.
  3. Cherub

Cherub Shark M.A.S.C Club Member

Welcome to town! I was in Seattle last week. I think the traffic is slightly worse there lol

4. Stickhead

Stickhead Copepod

Good to know, I just have a standard 4 stage 150gpd BRS. Its reading 0 TDS but I believe chloramines are not detectable like that.

I ran a test on my tap water and it tested really low. Although I am not sure that means I am same.

5. Stickhead

Stickhead Copepod

...And yes I would say the traffic is twice as bad if not worse. I am enjoying the flat, for now.

6. SynDen

SynDen Shark Staff Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. M.A.S.C Club Member

:welcome:

7. halmus

halmus Prawn M.A.S.C Club Member

Coming from a former Tacoma (DuPont) resident, welcome to Colorado!

I miss the Seattle area (mostly Piroshki Piroshki and the Puget Sound) but Denver's full of good folks.

8. Stickhead

Stickhead Copepod

I am missing it already but am excited to explore this new place. I love the mountains so I think I am in the right place for that!

Also, just saw your build thread, absolutely amazing tank and remodel. Would love to see it sometime once you get things running!

9. Stickhead

Stickhead Copepod

Thanks! Excited to get the build going!

10. Dr.DiSilicate

Dr.DiSilicate Kraken M.A.S.C Club Member

Welcome to Colorado.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. Stickhead

Stickhead Copepod

Thanks!

12. zombie

zombie Barracuda M.A.S.C Club Member

The chloramine issue is a marketing myth that's been perpetuated to sell more expensive RODI units. Randy Holmes Farley debunked it years ago and found that a typical 3 stage RO removes 99% or more and if you have multiple carbon stages it can remove up to 99.9%. The 4 stage you have is fine even if chloramines are really high in your tap water.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

13. Stickhead

Stickhead Copepod

Awesome thanks, after doing some research I decided that I would rather just replace my carbon block more often if necessary. Since I have a test kit I am not too concerned, but just have never dealt with it before. I am sure some places have much worse water then here.

14. SkyShark

SkyShark Barracuda Staff Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. M.A.S.C Club Member

Welcome to the club and to Colorado!

15. Stickhead

Stickhead Copepod

Thanks!