New to Salt!

Hey all! My name is Christa and I am from Keenesburg. Out in wide open spaces! I am new to salt water and am really not sure what I am doing! lol I have a tank and a filter that I purchased from a friend. I am just starting out so any help would be greatly appreciated! I am excited to join this exciting journey!;)

Zooid

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Welcome aboard.
My first suggestion is to take it slow and learn all you can about the nitrogen cycle of a saltwater tank.

KhensuRa

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Hola newb!!!

Ask any and all questions. The more you ask the easier your new hobby will be. Have you put water in the tank yet? What type of saltwater tank are you looking at setting up? Reef, fish-only, reef and fish? The more we know the best we can help and sometimes even pitch in.

I have a 10g tank. Has a little bit of water from previous owner. Live sand in the bottom. 3 Big rocks might be coral not sure. Protein skimmer I think. Light has blue and white. I am going to go get some water to let the tank start establishing. Should I change out the sand? I would like to do reef and fish.

chrislorentz

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
My first advise is buy something bigger, in no time you will want larger plus the more water you have the eaiser to maintain.

dv3

Beluga
M.A.S.C Club Member
welcome to the club .....sounds like you need to start asking alot of questions ...ask away and we will answer
just from your vague description ...you say you have a filter... a skimmer is preferred over a filter for SW
you dont mention lights ... "special" lighting will be nessecary for corals

your probably going to want to post some specifics about what you have before you get to far so we might suggest some equipment for you to get started

hurrafreak

Orca
M.A.S.C Club Member
First off welcome lol. Second, since we are asking so much of you right off the bat, it may be a good idea to take a picture/s of you have. Would give us a good idea of what you might need depending on the type of saltwater tank that you want to keep?

Cake_Boss

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
Welcome! We do love pics around here. I have friends out there and go out there from time to time. Feel free to ask anything and everything, don't be bashful!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

I will for sure put up some pics tonight if not early tomorrow. I noticed last night that there is a crab still alive in my tank. I didn't think that the little guy made it but he did. Now what? lol I have not fed him as I didn't know he was still alive he was crawling around in the coral. What is gonna happen when i fill that tank up? I really don't want him and would be willing to just give him up to anyone that did.