New to the hobby

LiquidDecent

Amphipod
M.A.S.C Club Member
Hi all,

I am new to the hobby and forum, on my 3rd month with a setup tank. Things are going well, as questions come up I will be sure to check in here first.

Munch

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Welcome, and swing by the meeting today at Aquatic Arts! Lots of cool stuff!!!!

Shaunv

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Welcome, tell us about your set up with pics please. :)

newtoreef

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Welcome!

LiquidDecent

Amphipod
M.A.S.C Club Member
Thanks for all the welcomes, I have a 55 gal tank with a sump. It's a very basic setup. I do need to get some better lighting for sure. Any advice? I have been shopping for some LED's but have not settled on anything yet.

fishguy69

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
IMO for something like your tank maybe look at T5s. AquaticLife has a very nice unit with 4-54watt T5 and integrated moon lights. This light also has built in timers for each set of lights. Very cool light for the cost.

Vince
GWA

Shaunv

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
If you are interested in going the LED route, I like Kessil or Radion pro's.

Smiley

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
For a 55, I would go t5 as well. Unless of course money is no object. Kessils are nice but for the price I'd go with aqua illumination hydras. Radions are OK but the lightning effect really sucks. Tuning the radions seems to be an issue for a lot of people. My choices in order without worry of cost would be AI hydra, t5, kessil, reefbrite, Chinese crap, radions....

The aquatic life t5 are really nice with the built in timers and moon lights. Prolly best bang for your buck.

LiquidDecent

Amphipod
M.A.S.C Club Member
Thanks for the advice I will look into those options. Money is a factor, so I will have to keep an eye out for a deal or find something used. I have seen some led light strips for 250-300. Much more than that and it will take a bit of convincing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

FinsUp

According to my watch, the time is now.
M.A.S.C Club Member
xjmav;274515 said:
Welcome! Talk to baja mike he has don tons of research on cheap leds
We're on our way to Mexico. Need to check the par readings down there...

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
LiquidDecent;274292 said:
Thanks for all the welcomes, I have a 55 gal tank with a sump. It's a very basic setup. I do need to get some better lighting for sure. Any advice? I have been shopping for some LED's but have not settled on anything yet.
What do you wanna keep? T5 IMHO would be great for a 55. 4 light strip.

LiquidDecent

Amphipod
M.A.S.C Club Member
my goal is a reef setup, I want some corals, I do not know how elaborate at this time but something for myself and the kids to look at and be amazed by.