Newbie doing a tank swap, need advice

Blindrage

Anthias
M.A.S.C Club Member
Well I barely got my intro posted, tank cycled, and a couple of fish in there, and I am already involved in a tank swap.

Quick background: Just cycled a 90 gallon tank and added the first livestock a little over a week ago. Tank params were solid as a rock, so I made a few stops over the weekend looking for a zoa or some leather to add. My instinct told me that going to Aquatic Art was a bad idea, and it turned out to be a very costly idea as well. So as soon as Chris updates me on when he can deliver the 150 gallon I bought from him as too good a deal to pass up, I will need to figure out how to swap everything to a new tank.

Current tank has 120 lbs of live rock, small CuC, 2 cleaner shrimp and 2 clowns that are loving life. I got the new RODI plumbed in this morning, an went through the basic flush routines. I have enough containers on hand to store about 130 gallons of water, but the new system is going to take close to 180 with sump, rdsb, etc. I may go buy a couple more fo the Brute trash cans to increase my water on hand, but that is TBD.

Once the tank is delivered I have to build all the plumbing, I was over bought PVC pieces at HD so that I would be ready to go the same evening the tank is dropped off, but not knowing the exact fittings that will attach to the bulkhead means that I am sure I will be running back and forth that evening.

At least the livestock is hardy and low population at this point. I imagine I do not think I would have tried to do this if it was 4 months later.

So who has had success with this type of move and can offer some advice on the following plan?

The current plan starts the night before the tank is delivered. I plan to drain some of the tank water plus new water and place some rock in one of my 27 gallon storage bins with a powerhead for water movement. Then capture the fish and shrimp to be moved into that bin as well, and as much of the CuC as I can find in the sandbed.. Empty the rest of the live rock and sand into another bin with a powerhead to keep things cured while the actual move happen. Then finish draining the 90 gallon. Most of the water will be dumped, but I plan to save some of it to keep from having to create 180 gallons from scratch.

Pull the old tank, move the new tank into the same location. Build the plumbing. That will be about it, an I imagine the livestock will have been in the holding bin for 24 hours or so at this point.

Next evening, or maybe same day if tank does not come until Friday or Saturday, do a quick seal test on the plumbing. The do a quick aquascape using my existing rock, followed my adding sand and filling with all the water spread across the house. Most of the water will be pumped from the bathroom downstairs using the return pump in the current tank (RIO3100), which I believe has the power to pump up one level; if not then it will be hauling 5 gallon buckets one at a time. Once all the water is in the system and pumps are working I will move the livestock back to the DT and start thinking about how the Apex needs to be hooked up and programmed.

Am I missing anything that is going to be a major gotcha? Should the fish do ok in a holding tank for 24-48 hours? Is that enough time for the PVC glue to setup and the tank to be good since I am not expecting any kind of cycle using this method or should I plan on longer term solution to fish storage for this?

Anyone want to take their valuable time to help a total newb move, plum, and fill a tank (there would be beer and pizza for any takers, plus a first place listing on any future DBTCs I might manage to start... yes that is a cheap, yet blatant, bribe attempt)?

Someone at least tell me to calm down. I went into total freak out mode after getting home last night trying to think of everything this will entail.

Thanks in advance,
Blindrage

Blindrage

Anthias
M.A.S.C Club Member
Sorry for the typos. I need to learn to re-read before hitting the big button.

My kingdom for an edit button.

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
In August I transferred my 225 to a 360. What I did and what I suggest is that you do a monster water change a day or two before saving the waste to transfer your fish and live rock into for holding. Transfer all the fish and much of the rock for holding just keep the water heated and moving with a power head. If you are adding new sand I would rinse it so there is little to no dust and lay that down first covering that with you current sand. Since the sand in your current set up is already cycled it will seed the new stuff and keep dust down once you star adding water. I would save as much water as you can since the greater volume will act as a water change and the old water will be more stable. When you go to add the water to the new tank add it on a plate so it doesn't stir up the sand. Try to keep you live rock submerged as much as possible because any sponge growth may die causing the tank to recycle or a minicycle. As for the plumbing I can't say since I had mine laid out and ready ahead of time but if you let the glue dry for 24 hours it should be enough. Just do a leak test if you can salt water is expensive to replace.

FinsUp

According to my watch, the time is now.
M.A.S.C Club Member
Blindrage;271400 said:
Sorry for the typos. I need to learn to re-read before hitting the big button.

My kingdom for an edit button.
Once you're a badged member, you can edit posts. :smile:

Blindrage

Anthias
M.A.S.C Club Member
CindyL;271472 said:
Once you're a badged member, you can edit posts. :smile:
Good to know. I plan to get fully joined at the meeting in Oct.

Good news on the move is that my wife has agreed to dumping some money to make sure everything goes smooth. I picked up two more 44 gallon trash cans yesterday, so I now have storage room for all the water I will need. I will be able to keep all the existing water from the tank, and supplement with fresh RODI and salt to the total new volume. I may have to buy an extra heater or two because of all the different receptacles, but that should not be a big deal. Between the three powerheads and three smaller return pumps I have, I should be able to keep everything well mixed and aerated.

The only concern I really have left is for the livestock. I hate to have them in a big garbage can for a couple of days, but I do not have any other option.

FinsUp

According to my watch, the time is now.
M.A.S.C Club Member
I'd get a bubbler to keep the water aerated for the fish. It's a very useful tool to have handy. We use them on our QT tanks whenever we get new fish or if fish need treated for something. And if, god forbid, you have a tank start to crash, having one to keep the fish happy in a bucket or in QT while you do water changes can make a huge difference.

Awesome news on getting badged. There are 2 ways to do that - either a $25 donation to the club or attend 2 meetings in a year (we have sign-in sheets at the meetings).

SkyDiv3r17

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Just make sure every large container of water is heated, or atleast going to be heated before going in the new tank. When I swapped from a 45 to a 75, I took out 2/3s of the water and filled up a 29 gallon tank. Then started taking out LR and my CUCs and put them in the 29 gallon. I put all my 7 fish and like 6 corals in a 5 gallon bucket (all I had) with a heater and a powerhead (they were fine overnight while the sand I put in the new tank was settling). I took the sand from the old tank and put as much as I could in the new 75 gallon. This is when the 45 was nearly empty and I moved the tank and put the 75 (with only sand) in place. Then I filled it with more "old" water I had in buckets and added my new sand and water and my LR. Like I said I had to let the sand settle overnight before I could put the fish in! Then I slowly just dumped the corals and fish in. Everything went great!

Good luck man

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Long as you can keep steady temp and agitate the water surface you'll be fine. This of course assumes you don't have gem tangs and peppermint angels :p let me know if you need to borrow another heater or pump I have some you can borrow. Oh and if a 20l tank would be helpful I have one of those you can borrow too.

Blindrage

Anthias
M.A.S.C Club Member
CRW Reef;271535 said:
Long as you can keep steady temp and agitate the water surface you'll be fine. This of course assumes you don't have gem tangs and peppermint angels :p let me know if you need to borrow another heater or pump I have some you can borrow. Oh and if a 20l tank would be helpful I have one of those you can borrow too.
I might take you up on that. Mostly because it would be an excuse to drop by and see the beautiful tank being mentioned by everyone on these forums. I will let you know as soon as I get final notice on when Chris can fit the delivery into his schedule.

sethsolomon

Hammerhead Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
CindyL;271524 said:
I'd get a bubbler to keep the water aerated for the fish. It's a very useful tool to have handy. We use them on our QT tanks whenever we get new fish or if fish need treated for something. And if, god forbid, you have a tank start to crash, having one to keep the fish happy in a bucket or in QT while you do water changes can make a huge difference.

Awesome news on getting badged. There are 2 ways to do that - either a $25 donation to the club or attend 2 meetings in a year (we have sign-in sheets at the meetings).

+1000 on the bubbler. One that can be plugged in or run off batteries would be best.

Fitz19d

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
As far as heating. A few extras for emergencies are good but you can also borrow. (Location in your profile is a good idea.)

I've also done things like leave water out in high summer, float in hot bathwater. And for smaller amounts even boil/near boil rodi to add to some water at higher salinity. (Helps get the temp closer to right right away and then finish off with a small heater rather than waiting all day.)

As for agitation, yes everyone should have at least one air pump. But for the powerheads, water movement is good but if you make sure ones near the surface agitation the surface really well that should cover you for gas exchange. May be hard to attach so they may have to dangle at a wierd angle that makes a lot of noise.

Blindrage

Anthias
M.A.S.C Club Member
The breakdown of the 90 gallon tank mostly took place last night. The fish, shrimp, and as much of the CuC as I could find in the sandbed have been moved into a 20 gallon brute container. All the rock and sand are in containers with moving water.

I still have to finish the breakdown this evening, but it is just cleaning up the 90 gallon tank and equipment, plus moving it downstairs for storage.

Chris should be delivering the new 150 on Wednesday or Thursday night. Then begins all the work of plumbing, wiring, aquascaping, and filling. Since it took me 4 hours to do the breakdown, I imagine it should not take more than three or four weeks to do the setup on this new one. :frusty::grief:

I will take some pictures of things, and start a new tank build thread for progress.

Thanks for all the suggestions and help you guys provided. :surprise: