Newbie - Feel Free to Poke Fun at my Ignorance!!!

Greetings, all...

New guy here - lots of theoretical knowledge gleaned from ReefCentral, but practical knowledge when it comes to reefing is essentially none.

I'm in the process of setting up a 180 gallon w/basement sump/fuge right now, but have to work it in around kid, business, and dogs.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to everything I can learn from you guys!

Cheers!

P.S. To get it out of the way up front: Yes, I'm the one who posted that review on ReefCentral regarding several reef shops in Denver. Yes, it was pretty scathing when it came to Key's Island. Yes, I stand behind everything I said in it.

newtoreef

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
greetings and welcome to the madness!!!!!!

Ditto. I wouldn't ever give anyone crap for their own opinion, but I'd take a second look at Elite Reef. I don't have kids, but I've seen their store brimming with little ones and they didn't seem to mind (they've hosted a few big events before). Also, the sales staff has always been nothing but friendly to me and I'm pretty poor. They always were happy to chat about corals / whatever, but if they were busy or in middle of a disaster, they might have been preoccupied. It's also dark as a style since they are showing off their neon colors and coral tank. Also I've usually been pretty happy with the health of their stock.

Again, I have no connection to ER, but since your experience was so opposite of what I usually see, I thought I'd just say something.

Yaten13;137081 said:
Ditto. I wouldn't ever give anyone crap for their own opinion, but I'd take a second look at Elite Reef. I don't have kids, but I've seen their store brimming with little ones and they didn't seem to mind (they've hosted a few big events before). Also, the sales staff has always been nothing but friendly to me and I'm pretty poor. They always were happy to chat about corals / whatever, but if they were busy or in middle of a disaster, they might have been preoccupied. It's also dark as a style since they are showing off their neon colors and coral tank. Also I've usually been pretty happy with the health of their stock.

Again, I have no connection to ER, but since your experience was so opposite of what I usually see, I thought I'd just say something.
Like I said in the review - everything looked VERY healthy and the coral tank was unbelievably impressive. But, again, it's a long way to drive to be treated like crap. Now, I went on a Saturday and it was in the afternoon, so I am willing to chalk the experience up to a long day spent dealing with customers - and me being THAT dude with the 2 year old who wasn't buying anything. I've worked specialty retail before - I know how things are.

Also, the water spill probably didn't help.

And, yes...I will probably go back.

Yep, vendors better be nice to kids who use reef stores as their own personal zoo. I used to do that 20 years ago and never bought a thing, and here I am a real customer.

PS. Oh and welcome! I came here from another forum too, because sometimes it's fun to know the people who you are talking to (and arguing with). It's fun to have community.

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Welcome. I would also urge another visit to Elite. I'm in there all the time with my 2 year old daughter and they love her. It's only about 5 minutes from my house, and I'm always up for going, so shoot me a PM and we can setup a time to meet there if you'd like.Again, welcome and can't wait to see pics of your 180.

KhensuRa

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Welcome to the madness!!

I have been treated like crap at Elite before to but, I probably deserved it. That would be my primary store if it wasn't the long crap way down wadsworth. I love keys because they all call me by name instead of hey you (like most LFS's) and Chris Cap has a killer store as well and even has a TV and couch for the little ones to chill. I would say that for being land locked like we are, we have a killer group of both sponsored stores and none sponsored stores.

Zooid;137134 said:
Welcome.

My favorite stores happen to be your least favorite LOL.
I haven't been to enough stores enough times to have a "favorite". As mentioned in that review, with the exception of Key's, that is the first time I've been to any of those stores. Not to disparage Key's unnecessarily, but seeing Ich and aiptasia in one store during the same visit isn't exactly a ringing endorsement....

Zooid

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I'm not attacking your views.....you have a right to your opinion :)
I liked your synopsis of each store and respect your positions.

chrislorentz

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Seems fishy to me....... :)

Cherub

Hey you
M.A.S.C Club Member
DUPioneers;137143 said:
I haven't been to enough stores enough times to have a "favorite". As mentioned in that review, with the exception of Key's, that is the first time I've been to any of those stores. Not to disparage Key's unnecessarily, but seeing Ich and aiptasia in one store during the same visit isn't exactly a ringing endorsement....
It's been a while since I've been to Aquamart but the last time I was there they had aiptasia on everything and I mean everything... The snails, the frags, the clams. I'm surprised you liked them the most based on this statement. Aquamart is my second least favorite. First being reef and pond. Fav store is still Elite minus it's so dang far. Please relocate Elite!

djkms

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Dave has actually done a phenomenal job turning Aquamart around the last couple of months. He has cleaned up the aiptasia, revamped all his tanks and really cleaned up the store nice! Last I was in there he was in the process of changing the back of all the tanks from blue to black. You should go check it out again sometime, its is definitely becoming one of the best LFS in the state again IMO.