Newbie Plumbing Question – Overflow & Return

Hi everyone, new to the area, just heard about MASC, working on a tank build and figured it would be good to get some advice.
I just picked up a 125 gallon tank (72x18x22) along with a 30 gallon sump. The tank isn’t reef ready so I was planning on drilling for the overflow(s) and return.
Is it better to have two overflows each draining from either end of the tank rather than one overflow with two drains in the center of the tank? I was looking at the glass-holes.com kits.
For the return is it better to have one return or two? Should I bulkhead one return and then split into two nozzles in the tank?
Thanks in advance for the input, looking forward to getting a tank back up and running!

goslugsgo

Blenny
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have one overflow with two drains, in case the primary gets blocked.
I have one return outlet. I don't know the benefit of multiple.

I was thinking of going with the glass-holes.com kit and using their system to make things a little easier on me so I can focus my DIY time on other projects. I'm not too worried about the sound level of the tank I just want to choose the most efficient setup. As I started to plan, using the glass-holes.com kit, I figured I will have to drill two holes no matter whether I drill them next to each other in the middle of the tank to work with one overflow or on either end of the tank to work with two overflows I'm just not sure if the extra surface area of two overflows would be better or if it would be easier to keep one overflow in the middle of the tank.

As far as the return(s) go I wanted to get some opinions to see if while I'm at this stage it would be worth planning on having two separate returns bulkheaded in the tank in different locations or if one would be the best bet and let the powerbeads provide the majority of the water movement.

Mav

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Multiple returns helps circulate the flow better. Say you have 2 powerheads and 2 returns that's 4 different directions the water is traveling as opposed to only 3. Also if your pump can handle it and you plumb the system correctly you can get mor flow from 2 returns. Ie: 1inch or 1-1/4 pipe to the returns and then using 3/4" returns.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks everyone for the quick response, I think I headed for two overflows and two returns. Looking forward to ordering some parts and getting the build going.

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
The size is more important than the number, IMO, but multiple larger are cool too. I would much rather have a single 1.5" drain than a pair of 1" in any configuration. I mostly use external dursos with larger pipes.... less room in the tank, but you have to have room behind for the plumbing... not good if up against a wall.

You can use a T instead of this swing fitting:

Thanks jda, I'm with you and have decided to make sure I go with pipes plenty big enough and I'm still thinking two. Thanks for sharing the pictures.

fishguy69

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Bulkheads are readily available all over. We have them at the store if you can't find one closer than FTC.

V