Not sure what these are please I.d.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
those are bubble algae. Not particularly harmful but they will multiply rapidly and takeover the rocks. You can remove them by hand, but careful not to pop them, or you can get some emerald crabs to eat them

SynDen;320025 said:
those are bubble algae. Not particularly harmful but they will multiply rapidly and takeover the rocks. You can remove them by hand, but careful not to pop them, or you can get some emerald crabs to eat them
Thank you and I have hermit crabs and snails but I have a niger trigger he does not harm the crabs or snails bur do u think he will harm the emerald crab?

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Depending on how many are in the tank so far, I would just try pulling them off by hand. They come off easily, just be gentle and dont pop them. If you have a lot of it then an emerald crab would be a decent long term solution though and I dont think the trigger will bother them as they stay hidden most of the time anyway and are generally a bit larger then hermits

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I find siphoning them out to be the most effective IME. I just scratch them loose with the tube while I am doing a waterchange and it sucks out any juice that is released if I accidently pop one. An emerald crab will snack on any bits that you missed.

Highway66

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
zombie;320059 said:
I find siphoning them out to be the most effective IME. I just scratch them loose with the tube while I am doing a waterchange and it sucks out any juice that is released if I accidently pop one. An emerald crab will snack on any bits that you missed.
I use a piece of brass tube with one end sharpened and bent in a hook. And on other end and a piece of airline to siphon. Start the siphon and just scratch them off, if they break they get siphoned off fast enough. I contemplated if the brass tube is ok in the tank and convinced myself it wasn't in long enough to hurt, you can use acrylic if your don't like the brass tube idea.