opinions on hang on refugiums

scotty b

Butterfly Fish
I am thinking of adding a hang on refugium for a a.i.o red sea max tank , any one use them?
opinion on make/models of hand on fugie?

SkyDiv3r17

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
It's going to do the same thing whether or not it's hanging on the back or in the sump. All you have to do is make sure there isnt too much water flow. I personally havent used one but know of many people that have them and they work great. Same thing just a different spot!

Ive used them in the past. Worked great, only thing is like any hang on equipmet is you see it in the tank. Other than that i never had problems and always have lots of pods and growth in there. No mud just rubble rock and chaeto.

NightHawk

Clown Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
I was thinking of gutting a HOB filter and throwing a light over it a little bit of rubble and chaeto would that work. Anyone recommend a particular filter for this purpose. My tank is a 25 gallon cube. (sorry im not meaning to hack the thread)

Aquaclear 70 or 110. They work the best in my opinion and super easy to mod. I took the basket out of my 70 and cut the bottom off than just trimmed it a little and zip tied it to the front to hold the chaeto in. Ive seen people use silicone but i havent had any issues with zip ties. Like i said you just have to trim the basket and place zipties so they dont put pressure on the actual filter.

Highway66

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Mine worked great although there is one pitfall I encountered. Because the pump was on the small side it did tend to stall now and then, especially if I didn't keep up on maintenance. Well, I wasn't paying attention to my tank for a few days, the pump got dirty and stalled. No flow + no heat = dead refugium.

lkoechle

Cleaner Shrimp
Aquaclears are what I would use and then get a media basket from inTank. They also sell submersible lights that fit into the bottom of the basket.